Question Breeding for fun

Jallen42

Reaction score
Hi all, I am curious if I were to breed guppies just to have fun and look for the best traits are there certain types like panda guppies, full albino red, or other Moscow’s that would be easy to get rid of or would it not matter and I should probably breed something else for fun?

Paulz

Reaction score
I have fish guppies and angels for a long time now maybe 60 years but in the last 10 or so have not been on these forums. If angels are any indication there are probably new guppy strains out there. I hope someone can give you better advice than I can.

OP
Jallen42

Jallen42

Reaction score
Paulz said:
I have fish guppies and angels for a long time now maybe 60 years but in the last 10 or so have not been on these forums. If angels are any indication there are probably new guppy strains out there. I hope someone can give you better advice than I can.
Yeah I just don’t wanna be caught up in the struggle of having too many guppies and not able to get rid of them

Paulz

Reaction score
Jallen42 said:
Yeah I just don’t wanna be caught up in the struggle of having too many guppies and not able to get rid of them
There are many ways to find them new homes, for instance I have a local group that we use to get rid of things for free and for sale, another is Facebook and yet another is Craig’slist. Maybe even a local pet store.

Gone

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can take regular guppies and if you selectively breed them you can develop your own strain that will eventually breed true. I've done that before and it is fun. If you keep them healthy, there's a good chance your LFS will take them and give you store credit, or even cash.

OP
Jallen42

Jallen42

Reaction score
GuppyDazzle said:
You can take regular guppies and if you selectively breed them you can develop your own strain that will eventually breed true. I've done that before and it is fun. If you keep them healthy, there's a good chance your LFS will take them and give you store credit, or even cash.
I really enjoy panda guppies so i May just try them and see what I come up with! A lot of the stores are box brand stores around me and I’m not sure on how likely the lfs that arent will be willing to take guppies, but if not ig I’ll have to buy a turtle or some large fish that will help my population.

OP
Jallen42

Jallen42

Reaction score
Paulz said:
There are many ways to find them new homes, for instance I have a local group that we use to get rid of things for free and for sale, another is Facebook and yet another is Craig’slist. Maybe even a local pet store.
Yeah I need to look into shipping fish and see if I’m interested kinda new only have display tanks but my next one I want a fun little project!

Gone

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jallen42 said:
Yeah I need to look into shipping fish and see if I’m interested kinda new only have display tanks but my next one I want a fun little project!
When I started shipping I traded with other people to practice shipping back and forth, also shipped fish for the cost of shipping. That way I was able to make mistakes and learn from them. Shipping is kind of wacky now with delays in USPS.

A couple tips if you do want to selectively breed LFS guppies. Don't be surprised if all the original offspring don't look anything like the parents. Just work with what you've got. Also, you need to separate males and females at about a month or two old so you can select the breeders. If you just let them randomly breed, they'll lost size, color, and pattern. Selective breeding is how you isolate traits you want your line to have.

OP
Jallen42

Jallen42

Reaction score
GuppyDazzle said:
When I started shipping I traded with other people to practice shipping back and forth, also shipped fish for the cost of shipping. That way I was able to make mistakes and learn from them. Shipping is kind of wacky now with delays in USPS.

A couple tips if you do want to selectively breed LFS guppies. Don't be surprised if all the original offspring don't look anything like the parents. Just work with what you've got. Also, you need to separate males and females at about a month or two old so you can select the breeders. If you just let them randomly breed, they'll lost size, color, and pattern. Selective breeding is how you isolate traits you want your line to have.
Yeah I plan on having a tank for the main “show room guppies” and then pull the babies and put them in a tub or different tank until they grow out should I further split the genders? Like will they show their traits before they are mature enough to breed or after I guess is what I’m asking?

Gone

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jallen42 said:
Yeah I plan on having a tank for the main “show room guppies” and then pull the babies and put them in a tub or different tank until they grow out should I further split the genders? Like will they show their traits before they are mature enough to breed or after I guess is what I’m asking?
For my breeders, I not only separate the sexes, but also keep the generations separate. My lines breed true, and my culls are usually nicer than the LFS can buy from wholesalers. When I cull, I keep most the fish. I keep two 20G's for growout, one for male culls and one for females culls. In short, I keep my male and female culls separated to eliminate the problem with overpopulation. As soon as the fish get to the LFS they get combined into the same tank, which is fine. I just don't want to deal with hundreds and thousands of guppy babies all over the place, and the only way you can control it is to keep the boys separated from the girls whether or not they're going to continue in your breeding program.

Culling is an ongoing process. You can cull some before they become sexually mature, but most of the culling is done after they're sexually mature. Again, just separate males and females before they're sexually mature, and you can control which fish breed 100%. Some of them rate at the top and you keep them for breeders or show, and others go into the growout tank for the LFS.

One thing I've noticed is the females go through a huge growth spurt when they're bred for the first time. Sometimes I will put males and females together for a week or two before I take them in, so they're bigger.

Even though the fish I take to the LFS are very nice (in my opinion), you're still not going to make much. I usually get a buck or two apiece in store credit. I can get more selling online which I do sometimes, but you have to realize the fish store folks don't have a steady stream of guppy geeks walking through their doors willing to spend $30 or $50 bucks a pair for show guppies. They like guppies from local breeders because they tend to be a lot healthier than from a wholesaler and the strains are different from what they can order, but the reality is they're still selling to a market that's accustomed to paying five or six buck apiece.

OP
Jallen42

Jallen42

Reaction score
Jallen42 said:
Yeah I plan on having a tank for the main “show room guppies” and then pull the babies and put them in a tub or different tank until they grow out should I further split the genders?
GuppyDazzle said:
For my breeders, I not only separate the sexes, but also keep the generations separate. My lines breed true, and my culls are usually nicer than the LFS can buy from wholesalers. When I cull, I keep most the fish. I keep two 20G's for growout, one for male culls and one for females culls. In short, I keep my male and female culls separated to eliminate the problem with overpopulation. As soon as the fish get to the LFS they get combined into the same tank, which is fine. I just don't want to deal with hundreds and thousands of guppy babies all over the place, and the only way you can control it is to keep the boys separated from the girls whether or not they're going to continue in your breeding program.

Culling is an ongoing process. You can cull some before they become sexually mature, but most of the culling is done after they're sexually mature. Again, just separate males and females before they're sexually mature, and you can control which fish breed 100%. Some of them rate at the top and you keep them for breeders or show, and others go into the growout tank for the LFS.

One thing I've noticed is the females go through a huge growth spurt when they're bred for the first time. Sometimes I will put males and females together for a week or two before I take them in, so they're bigger.

Even though the fish I take to the LFS are very nice (in my opinion), you're still not going to make much. I usually get a buck or two apiece in store credit. I can get more selling online which I do sometimes, but you have to realize the fish store folks don't have a steady stream of guppy geeks walking through their doors willing to spend $30 or $50 bucks a pair for show guppies. They like guppies from local breeders because they tend to be a lot healthier than from a wholesaler and the strains are different from what they can order, but the reality is they're still selling to a market that's accustomed to paying five or six buck apiece.
ahh so I should prob just get a divider for a 20 high to split at first until I get tanks or tubs going for other guppies. Yeah I don’t wanna make tons of money off the guppies if I do it I just want experience looking for the good traits disabilities/bad traits, but also to ensure that if I do breed them that I stores are willing to take them in. Mainly where I live I don’t see a lot of stores that have the option to get certain strains it’s just your usual assorted guppy tanks for sale, but even if the guppy’s I don’t want get put in there I’m fine as in I can get rid of the stock in order to keep having fun!

Gone

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jallen42 said:
ahh so I should prob just get a divider for a 20 high to split at first until I get tanks or tubs going for other guppies. Yeah I don’t wanna make tons of money off the guppies if I do it I just want experience looking for the good traits disabilities/bad traits, but also to ensure that if I do breed them that I stores are willing to take them in. Mainly where I live I don’t see a lot of stores that have the option to get certain strains it’s just your usual assorted guppy tanks for sale, but even if the guppy’s I don’t want get put in there I’m fine as in I can get rid of the stock in order to keep having fun!
I've tried and tried to find something that works as tank dividers, and I've been unsuccessful. The bottom of the tank has sealant, and you can't get the divider flush to the corner because it's rounded. If it's not a tight fit, there will be more than enough room for small guppies to roam back and forth. I finally settled on large breeder nets, about 5 x 5 x 10, with foam installed around the top so they float.

emeraldking

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It´s so personal which guppy strain to choose if you´d like to breed them and eventually make money out of it. Or if the money issue ain´t around, to get them distributed in a way.
Like it´s mentioned a number of times before on this forum, it seems that your location is the first hurdle. Depending on where you live, the supply and demand can be low, normal or high. Seems important if you´d like to get rid of offspring.

OP
Jallen42

Jallen42

Reaction score
GuppyDazzle said:
I've tried and tried to find something that works as tank dividers, and I've been unsuccessful. The bottom of the tank has sealant, and you can't get the divider flush to the corner because it's rounded. If it's not a tight fit, there will be more than enough room for small guppies to roam back and forth. I finally settled on large breeder nets, about 5 x 5 x 10, with foam installed around the top so they float.
Ahh yeah that would be an issue maybe it’s worth just buying like a 50 gal tub for 20$ and using that for fry

OP
Jallen42

Jallen42

Reaction score
emeraldking said:
It´s so personal which guppy strain to choose if you´d like to breed them and eventually make money out of it. Or if the money issue ain´t around, to get them distributed in a way.
Like it´s mentioned a number of times before on this forum, it seems that your location is the first hurdle. Depending on where you live, the supply and demand can be low, normal or high. Seems important if you´d like to get rid of offspring.
Yeah I have a few stores like an hour away from me that are in a big city, but I don’t go to them often enough to know what fish are in and out of them all the time

Jollypop4321

Reaction score
GuppyDazzle said:
I,d love to see a picture of that? I just purchased dividers to separate males females and culls. No room for more tanks but I am on a mini scale of breeding compared to you guys
Thanks for the info

New Threads