breeding flame angels

convict15

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ive been reading that breeding flame angels is possible. I would like to try since I think it would be a challenge. I was wondering if anyone had any experience on breeding flames. And if it is possible to breed other dwarf angels. What size tank would a pair or trio of flames need. Would my 75 gallon be big enough? Thx

Avejim

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm pretty sure breeding flame angels in the aquarium is next to impossible. If it weren't they wouldn't be so expensive.

Eienna

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
A lot of factors affect price, including how recent and/or popular they are in the trade. It doesn't necessarily mean they can't be bred.

I have no experience with them, however.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Here's an interesting article about breeding Flame Angels: https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/7/media

Most Saltwater species are expensive (compared to Freshwater), generally because they are hand-caught from the reefs, and travel poorly.

Hopefully we'll find a way to breed more species, and leave our reefs undisturbed, but I feel that's a long way off.

Avejim

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Not going to lie, Saltwater tanks are awesome but they are about as good for the environment as an oil spill XD

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Avejim said:
Not going to lie, Saltwater tanks are awesome but they are about as good for the environment as an oil spill XD
Respectfully, I believe this statement to be false. Whilst the ornamental fish trade does have an impact on our reefs, one hurricane/tornado/cyclone or other significant weather event, do more damage to a reef in 24 hours than the controlled farming for the ornamental fish trade.

The biggest threats to our reefs are climate change/environmental and commercial fishing (particularly of sharks and larger predatory fish such as groupers - take out the predators, and the reefs suffer).

Here's a great read: https://www.fishlore.com/coral-reefs-microbial-seas.htm

I applaud the efforts of aquarists and aquaculturists around the world who are finding ways to breed ornamental fish, both salt and freshwater (some Freshwater species still come from the wild).

It wasn't that long ago that we couldn't breed 'nemo' in captivity, but aquacultured specimens are now extremely common and readily available. Many corals and anemones are being succesfully frag'd and traded, and for most reefers, trying to find aqua-cultured specimens (fish, inverts, anemones, corals) is preferred, even if it means paying a little more, just to help ease the pressure on our reefs.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads