Breeding Fish

SouthAmericanCichlids

So I am starting a couple of bins in my mom's greenhouse and these are the fish I am thinking about breeding: Albino BN plecos, an Appisto species (Not sure yet which species), salt and pepper cories, and a species of shell dwellers. I don't think I'll start them all at the same time because of funds, but which one would you advise me to start with to get the rest of the funds? I am kind of worried about the BN, as they take a while to get their bristles, I already have one I've decided to be a male, but I need to find a female.

Btw: Not doing this just to make money, I really love trying to breed fish, seeing the babies, and behaviours, and these are fish I already want to have (Besides BN which I already have).

Broggy

I would start with the Corys. easy to breed, and grow pretty fast.

Upvote 0

Cherryshrimp420

I think the cories need soft, acidic water

Upvote 0

SouthAmericanCichlids

I have extremely hard water, would it not be possible for me to breed cories. I've bred angelfish, which also come from the amazon.

Upvote 0

Donovan Jones

I have extremely hard water, would it not be possible for me to breed cories. I've bred angelfish, which also come from the amazon.
I have liquid rock. C. Paleatus bred after every water change for me. Just ensure u have male and female. I recommend breeding in one tank and removing eggs then putting them outside to bulk up since the parents will dispatch babies and eggs with ease

Upvote 0

Broggy

im guessing these ponds are going to be planted? maybe you could have it fully planted and cycled before you put the cories in it and let the water naturally get softer. would that work?

Upvote 0

SouthAmericanCichlids

Well, I will cycle them first. But my water has never naturally gotten softer it's always been 8.2-8.4 depending on time of day.
I have liquid rock. C. Paleatus bred after every water change for me. Just ensure u have male and female. I recommend breeding in one tank and removing eggs then putting them outside to bulk up since the parents will dispatch babies and eggs with ease
Thanks, I'll try those.

Upvote 0

Cherryshrimp420

I just know most cory breeders here use acidic soft water. If they can breed in hard water than that's cool and let us know how it goes!

Upvote 0

SouthAmericanCichlids

Do you know what types can be bred in hard water.
I just know most cory breeders here use acidic soft water. If they can breed in hard water than that's cool and let us know how it goes!
I will! I'll probably do a build thread, so I'll link it hear.

Upvote 0

Donovan Jones

That would be a good question for Coradee ee and DoubleDutch for which can be bred in hard water. How hard is it specifically?

Upvote 0

Nessaf

If you have hidey holes for your plecos, it’s almost impossible to keep them from breeding.

Upvote 0

SouthAmericanCichlids

8.2-8.4 depending on time of day, it's funny it fluctuates depending on what time it is.

Upvote 0

SouthAmericanCichlids

Bump. Coradee any ideas of cories you can breed in hard water?

Upvote 0

Donovan Jones

It seems as though the forum removed the links or it bugged out.
Coradee DoubleDutch

Upvote 0

SouthAmericanCichlids

It seems as though the forum removed the links or it bugged out.
Coradee DoubleDutch
It does after a little bit of time, but they still get the notification.

Upvote 0

Coradee

Sorry, only just seen this.
Most of the easily sourced corys such as aenus, paleatus etc are tank bred so are more adaptable to harder water. You may not get such a high hatch rate as in soft water but as those species are quite prolific that might be a good thing, good luck keep us posted :)

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
pagoda
Replies
Views
Yeoy
Replies
Views
GrandGinkgo