Breeding Fish

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by david1978, Apr 20, 2018.

1. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

I need to pick some brains. Lol. I have gotten the bettas to breed (one), the glowlight tetras (3) and the cories (one) i have floting plants for the bettas to breed in, a jungle for the glowlights and a shelf for the cories to breed under but cant get to the eggs. What else can i try short of separating them to different tanks to be a little more successfull. Im not looking for big numbers just some more.

2. ILLBETHEJUDGEValued MemberMember

the bettas? how many you have in the same tank?

3. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

2 males and 13 females.

4. ILLBETHEJUDGEValued MemberMember

what size tank?

5. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

Standard 75 gallon. Complete stocking and pics are on my profile.

6. ILLBETHEJUDGEValued MemberMember

my personal opinion. 2 males in the same tank is spelling disaster. It might work but most probably it might not.
    Back to topic I've breed tetras before by placing a pair in a tank and putting some guppy grass in the tank, i only use a sponge filter when i do it. cories in the other hand I've only had luck with albinos.

7. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

i can get the cories to breed and lay eggs but they are stuck to the bottom of the shelf and the only way to get to them would be by tearing half the tank apart and i really dont want to go threw that. Lol. I tried guppy grass but apparently the pleco likes it and ate it. The glowlights for the most part hang out in a clearing over a fake log but they have a jungle in other places.

8. Gypsy13Fishlore VIPMember

Can you reach them with a turkey baster? I actually have one with a bent tip that helps me get in places like under shelves and into caves.
    Oh. What color are your male bettas? My two I kept together in a twenty long got along perfectly. One was bright orange and dark red, the other was bright blue to dark blue with a white stripe on his back. Called them fire and ice.

9. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

The shelf is about 30" x 14". So it only gives me about 4" in front of it to get under it. I made a pvc thing to gravel vac under it but the eggs are stuck to the underside and it doesn't suck them off. Mr grumpy face is blue and the newer one is sort of peach, white and really light blue.

10. Gypsy13Fishlore VIPMember

Well poodles. Sounds like you’ll be catching fry. I bet they’re just too cute when they hatch! You’ve got lots of hiding places for fry right? I don’t yet and still manage to get the new guppy fry showing up. I wish I could help. :smug: