Breeding fish in a 20 gallon?

1. echi1 Well Known Member Member

I was wanting to set up a community tank with breeders in it. Like ram cichlids or clown killifish. Ones that will live in a 20 gallon and breed without having to separate any pairs. I will have a place to give the fry if I do a "breeding tank" as I will make sure of it ahead of time. Pygmy cories and bristle nosed plecostomus would those be okay? No livebearers please, but if I can find a place for them I may consider them. I can also separate eggs from the community if needed. Thank you for the replies!

2. TJBender Well Known Member Member

Consider territoriality. Rams (and cichlids in general) become very territorial when breeding, and that could cause issues.

3. echi1 Well Known Member Member

Yes I know they have a larger territory than others and I meant 15 gallon!:sign0013:
    I was also considering cockatoo cichlids and dwarf, honey, sparkling gouramis and all the rest of the really small ones. Any info?

4. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

If you want to breed fish you're best having a species only tank, in a community tank the survival rate of eggs or fry will be very low

5. TJBender Well Known Member Member

IMO, of the species you've listed, only the sparkling gourami is suitable size-wise for a pair of that species plus a small community around them in a 15g. Even in a 20g, the only fish other than the sparkler that would be suitable in a pair with a community around them are the honeys. A pair of DGs would be more likely to kill each other than mate. Shoot, even as a species tank, I wouldn't try to keep a pair of anything you've listed other than sparklers and honeys in a 15g.

If you really want to breed successfully, I'd recommend a species tank, especially under 30 gallons.

6. echi1 Well Known Member Member

Thank you! I'm more wanting to do a split betta tank and maybe some betta breeding, but not sure if I can as I won't be able to cull any...

7. Fishfinatic Member Member

Betta breeding is very difficult, I would probablly recommend not doing it.

As for breeding, you could try most dwarf cichlids, smaller plecostomus (i.e bristlenose), maybe cory cats and any livebearer. Good luck on your tank!

8. TJBender Well Known Member Member

Betta breeding involves multiple aquariums (at least four) of varying sizes, then jars, bottles, etc. or several more compartmentalized aquariums for the males. Culling is the least of the hurdles ;)

9. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Sparkling gouramis are pretty difficult to breed in captivity - you really have to know what you're doing. They will not breed in a community tank, and even if by some miracle you convinced them to, the babies rarely survive long and would certainly be eaten in a community tank.

Most killifish (and folks more knowledgeable than I can comment further on this) species require a bit more advanced of a breeding setup, as the eggs need to have a dry period, or something of the sort... A user here breeds Gardneri killies and could probably help you with a setup if you decide to go that route.

One fish that would do well in a 15 gallon as a breeding tank is dwarf shell-dwelling cichlids. You'd be finding homes for tons and tons of fry, though.

I do not recommend breeding bettas if you're limited on space. They take up tons of room and are rather costly to maintain in a breeding setup.

10. EricV Fishlore VIP Member

There are a ton of various non-annual killifish that will readily breed in small tanks and whose eggs do not require a dry resting period.

Fundulopanchax gardneri are one such killifish and are not overly predatory towards their young. A fair number of young would survive even if not separated from an adult pair.

11. echi1 Well Known Member Member

Thanks!
    I'm looking into the gardneri! Didn't know about the sparkling gouramis.

12. echi1 Well Known Member Member

Okay so rediscovered anchor catfish and would like to house them. They need high oxygenated waters and a PH.: 6.0 - 7.2 with a temperature of : 54oF - 75oF. The stocking I would like would be:
    3 anchor catfish (Hara jerdoni)
    3 Scarlet badis (Badis badis)
    8 chili rasbora (Boraras brigittae)
    8 Microrasbora kubotai (Microrasbora kubotai)
    How does it sound? It will be highly planted with rocks and driftwood. The scarlets will be the center piece fish. The chili rasboras and the microrasbora are the same size and will probably school. I use aqadvisor.com for my stocking and it says I'm at 62% without the anchor catfish. (No option for the anchor catfish) Also any chance of dwarf kuhli loaches?

13. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Some of the fish you've picked are quite shy, chili rasboras tend to stay amongst the plants unless they're in a large enough group & they don't like a lot of flow
    Scarlet badis also tend to hover amongst the plants, the males are quite territorial & you'll be lucky to find females as they're very drab in colour & rarely imported, they also don't like a lot of water flow
    Microrasbora kubotai are quite a bit bigger than chili rasboras & very active swimmers, mine use every inch of a 3ft tank.
    I don't know about the anchor catfish so can't comment on their requirements.

14. echi1 Well Known Member Member

Thank you. I've been having trouble on which I like best, bettas or community... I can get every thing needed for betta breeding to do it right and community I can have a setup for a long time, but won't be able to see these creatures grow and turn into the beautiful fish we have. I'm also debating about selling the betta fish and shipping if I have to. Any suggestions? I may also do cherry shrimp as I already have expirence with them. The videos and website I've seen say different things about RCS any one who breeds them here have any requirements for breeding?