Breeding feeders

joshthefisherman
I will be eventually getting either an oscar red devil or a piranah so its main diet will be feeders I no that they can carry disease so I'm planning on breeding them in smaller you guys have any suggestions thabks

Allie
Piranha look cool but are boring we've been keeping them from since we first got into fish. My boyfriend loves them. Highly overrated. Plus they prefer frozen shrimp over feeders any day. Light colored meat/fish is best for them not feeders. Unless solitary piranha, they best kept in shoal/school of 5 or more.
If I were you I go with an oscar or red devil.

COBettaCouple
If you use feeders, be sure to include non-goldfish feeders as goldfish lack necessary vitamins and that leads to hole in the head and lateral line disease.

Narcicius
You could just get some cut fish peices from a lfs, unless money is the issue, which for me it is all the time.

joshthefisherman
well I was just thinkingg it would be fun to have my own food supply what type of tank should I have for I don't need a heater definitely a filter although will be on top of my water changes

Blub
Hi!

Why not try guppys? They're hardy, easily bred (You don't have to do much) and produce a ton of Pirahna food.

Rbacchiega
Essentially you'll want to set up your feeder tank as you would a quarantine tank.

Barebottom will work the best, especially with the number of feeders you have in there to enduce breeding. As is was already mentioned, guppies would be the easiest ones to start out with, and they're small enough that if you have a small oscar or red devil they'll be able to munch them down easily.

Go with probably twice or three times the filtration reccomended for a normal tank. IE if your using a 20 gallon tank, get a 50 or 75 gallon filter. I would still reccomend using a heater though.

You're next step would be to research what it takes to enduce spawning of the particular fish you are going to use as feed and go from there.

I would highly reccomend using other foods as well though, variety will give you amazingly healthy and robust fish with great colors. For example, although Worm (my baby arowana) would do fine with just eating freeze dried bloodworms or pellets, his diet includes:

- frozen or freeze dried blood worms
- arowana pellets
- crickets
- feeder guppies

and as he gets older will also include larger feeder fish, silversides, fresh fish from the market etc.

Think of it this way, even though they are "just feeder fish", you're feeding them to YOUR fish, so what goes into the feeders will go into the show fish, a healthy feeder will help keep a healthy display fish.

joshthefisherman
I have next to no knowledge with guppys are their different kinds which would be best ect thanks

Blub
Hi!

There are different colour forms, but they are the same species. All you need is a male and a female - and within a few months you have babies!

joshthefisherman
should I just buy one pair or should I get a couple pairs to up my odds

Blub
Hi!

A couple of pairs will mean more babies. However, wit hguppies you have 99.99% chance of breeding them.

joshthefisherman
Sounds Goooooooooooooood

ninilie
Make sure you over the filter intakes or fry will get sucked up. Also provide them floating plants to hide from adult guppys that want to eat them. The rest they will do on their own .

joshthefisherman
yea I plan on getting a breeders box I checked out that arcticle as well

sirdarksol
This doesn't have to be a utilitarian-appearing setup. You can build it as a regular tank. Plants to soak up excess nitrates and to provide hiding places for the fry.
One thing you don't want to do is overload the tank. If you do this, you might as well just buy feeder guppies. The reason that feeders from the store are bad for your fish is that they're kept in unhealthy conditions. Unhealthy fish make for bad food. (It's like the difference between free-range, grass-fed cattle and factory-produced cattle. The grass-fed tastes better for one big reason; it's healthier).
There's also little point in putting extra filtration in the tank. No amount of filtration will remove nitrates from the tank (unless you're sinking extra money into the nitrate-removing filter media). Water changes and thinning the school are your best friends when it comes to keeping the water clean.

"Think of it this way, even though they are 'just feeder fish', you're feeding them to YOUR fish, so what goes into the feeders will go into the show fish, a healthy feeder will help keep a healthy display fish."
This is perhaps the best statement on this topic. The contrast of "unhealthy fish make for bad food" is that healthy fish make for healthy food. Feeding them a wide range of food and supplementing it with vitachem is important.

I would suggest supplementing your piranha's diet with live worms, fresh fish from the grocery store (get yourself a salmon steak and feed a raw chunk to the fish before you cook the rest), and a periodic piece of red meat. (Not too much, as piranha's don't eat all that many terrestrial animals, contrary to popular belief)

joshthefisherman
well I won't need to many guppys any way but when I'm running low ill give them alternatives

Blub
Hi!

Good plan Josh. I think live worms would be a good idea. Sirdarksol has made up a perfect pirahna diet!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Splunji
Replies
Views
Sorg67
Replies
Views
FishyFanatic86
Replies