Breeding 'fancy' Convict Cichlids, Any Advice? How Do I

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by FishGirl38, Apr 10, 2018.

1. FishGirl38

FishGirl38Valued MemberMember

Hi All,
    I purchased 2 juvenile convicts about a year ago now and they've yielded approx, 75 regular juveniles that I'm growing out to donate. Along with the regular blue convicts, some of their fry were black striped convicts with white bodies. They're not pink or marble...but right in between, I've since purchased a male and female pink convict cichlid (who are breeding with regular convict partners rather than eachother.) in an attempt to get some variation in the fry.

Has any one been able to breed marbled, red, or balloon convicts through regular strains before? Or would I need to find a true pair of (i.e. red, marble or balloon) to breed those fry?

2. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

You would need to find strains of those fish. I've never heard of a Red strain, that would be a new one. Marble is becoming fairly available, and Balloon is often sold as Jellybean Parrots. It may be remotely possible to get the recessive for Marble from another strain, but they still aren't that common.

Unsure what you mean by the "regular blue Convicts". Unless you have a strain that's been hybridized with Honduran Red Points, the black and white striped convict is the normal strain.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice