Breeding Ethics

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Biev, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Biev

BievValued MemberMember

I breed a lot of convict cichlids at work. When I find a good breeding pair, I tend to stick with them for a while, but now I'm wondering if I should let some retire. At what point would you consider it unethical to keep breeding the same pair? Should I give them a break after a certain number of broods, or keep going as long as they still look healthy and seem to get along?

2. Seth15

Seth15Valued MemberMember

I would consider it unethical if the pair begins to show signs of stress, fatigue, old age, and other obvious signs of poor health.

Generally speaking, fish will breed when they feel healthy and eager. If the pair behaves and appears healthy I see no reason to retire them, just let them be. If they are getting along just fine and behaving healthy I would let them do their thing. As far as breaks, if you begin to notice one becoming underweight or appear weak I would separate them until they recover.

That is my opinion as a fish breeder.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice