Breeding Electric Yellow Cichilids

PPK9110

Valued Member
Reaction score
can somebody give me some helpful tips and imformation about how to breed breeding electric yellow cichilids, i have 6 of them, 2

yellow one white one orange and one brown (with black strips). most of them are young they're about 1 - 1.5 inch long, one is

mature its about 2.5 inch long, i was thinking if somebody can give me some imformation on how to breed them, like how to tell

them from male and female, where the egg spot is located on their body, stuff like that. i have a 20 gallon cycled tank with planted

of hiding spots and plants. thank you

PPK9110

Valued Member
Reaction score
ps: even tho they're different colors but they look alike their body shape and everything else, so i'm assuming they're all "electric yellow"

cichilids but with different colors, i'll post some pictures up later if that helps.

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
PPK9110 - Please don't post the same message in multiple locations. I'll leave this one, but I deleted the other two.

Thanks,
Mike

Dino

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Pictures would be a big help.
There are several species in that family that have te same body shape as electric yellows, as well as color morphs within the species itself.
LOTS of rock work is always a good move when working with African cichlids.
It would be very difficult to have too much rock work, in most cases.
Generally, males have egg spots or MORE egg spots than females.
These are located on the analfin, the last fin on the bottom of the fish, close to it's tail.

Hope this helps,
Dino

PPK9110

Valued Member
Reaction score
yeah thanks a lot Dino, the information you post really helped me a lot, i will definally get pictures as soon i get my camera back, i

really need help on verify my cichilids since you said they could passably be different spices even with same body shape but

different color. so basically the male cichilid and female cichilid both have egg spots on their annal fin, but male have more than

female? i looked but i didn't spot any egg spots on their annal fin so does that mean they're all female or the egg spots only show

on certain time when they're ready to mate, or maybe they're too young because most of mine are still really small.

thanks a lot.

Dino

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It varies.
Some only the male has spots at all, some both sexes have spots, but the male has more.
Also, most do not get them until they reach sexually maturity.

Dino

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm becoming a big fan of cichlids. I think you're overstocking your 20 gallon aquarium. They grow to 6 inches each.

PPK9110

Valued Member
Reaction score
since you mention it, i think i might be overstocking it..but 4 of them are 1 inch, and i once heard that fish can only grow to certain

size to live in your tank so i figure they probably are gonna stop around 2.5 inches maybe..? yeah I've been getting into African

cichilids lately,i was thinking about setting up a 29 gallon cichilid tank and hopefully breed them. they have more characteristic than

mollies and guppies in my opinion, i gave my guppies away to my girlfriend

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
since you mention it, i think i might be overstocking it..but 4 of them are 1 inch, and i once heard that fish can only grow to certain

size to live in your tank so i figure they probably are gonna stop around 2.5 inches maybe..? This will answer your question about growing to fit the tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom