Breeding Discus

1. i

ilovefishys17 Member Member

Hi everyone, Im setting up my discus tank and want to get into breeding. Any advice?

2. BReefer97

BReefer97 Well Known Member Member

Do you have any experience keeping discus?

3. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

As stated above do you have experience with fish keeping to being with?

Discuss are very delicate , and are for experience fish keepers.

4. BReefer97

BReefer97 Well Known Member Member

And on top of that, discus are even harder to get to breed in captivity - it was only really done on a commercial kind of scale until recently. Experienced fish keepers have trouble keeping discus, let alone getting them to breed successfully.

5. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

In my personal experience, it is a LOT of work. It can take months or even years to get a pair to spawn (even proven pairs) and it is your responsibility to keep the lines as "pure" as possible and breed good quality discus. You'll need to daily large water change (and I mean 50-70% at least) with pretty much perfect parameters to ensure good growth as well as lots of space to ensure you are not stunting them. When I had bred mine, I was running 2-55g tanks and a 90 gallon tanks just for the fry in order to give them as much space as I could as well as feeding up to 6x daily with the best food possible. I had spawns of 70-100 the 3 times I did breed them; that's a lot of babies!!

Discus are not fish like guppies (for example) and should be thrown together in a tank and expected to just breed. But if you are prepared for this, please ask or do ample research. I hope you don't see this as me attacking you, I just want to inform you of the responsibilities so you don't make an "on-the-whim" decision :).

As for your normal discus set-up, what were you planning to do?

6. OP
    OP
    i

Thanks for that, I have a 29 setup as a grow out. It has dragon stone and I want to add spider wood and some plants. Thanks again for the advice about breeding, it's something I really want to do cause I love the fish and the hobby.

To you and @BReefer97, yes I have experience with the hobby, both fresh and saltwater.

7. KinsKicks

Wait... I think I have dejavu. Didn't you have this idea in another thread, or am I just crazy? Lol. Can't rememver

I'd be careful with dragon stone. Discus are pretty skittish and prone to darting, so you don't want them get scratched on the jagged edges

8. OP
    OP
    i

I would like to get some more advice from you, as I have looked up breeding before and have since been interested. I have a 55 gallon. Would I have the pair breed in the 55 or in the 29 and have the fry in the 55?

Ok, thanks for that.

I had my tank up but not the breeding.

9. KinsKicks

Although this may vary depending on how you ask, in my experience at least, I had spawned mine in a 20g (with a reason! And I can explain why) but a 29 should be just fine for spawning. I had parent-raised fry until they were about 1-1.5inch and had a discernible shape of discus to them, then I separated into the larger tanks to grow out.

If you want, you can have them spawn in the 55 and put the parents in the 29 once they've done so you don't have to shuffle fry around, but I'm not a big supporter of leaving 2 adults discus in a 29g. And imo, you'll need a bit more space than a 55 if you get a big spawn in order not to stunt them.

(And I really appreciate you researching about discus breeding instead of throwing yourself into it without info :) )

10. OP
    OP
    i

Thanks, would u recommend getting the breeding pair as a pair of forming one? Why did u have to breed them in a 20? I've seen huge breeders do them in 29 30 gallons before and it not been a problem.

11. KinsKicks

That is entirely up to you about the breeding pairs. I do know that if you buy *proven* breeding pairs, I've seen cases where it takes months of even years for them to actually spawn lol, or itll take them 2 weeks...up to the discus :p; they're also a LOT more expensive.

As for me, I didn't intentionally spawn mine, they kinda just hooked up on their own (i got lucky), but they were together since juvie (I had 3 of them in my 55 at the time to grow out because the other discus I wanted werent available and I was waitlisted for 6-8months...so I chose to get the 3 that I really wanted that they had currently had and a pair had formed).

Personally, I like picking my own pairs (although my disucs didn't, I picked my angel pairs) because you have the chance to raise them up together and are assured they aren't an "old" breeding pair (ie; more infertile eggs, smaller or less spawns, etc) or they are too old to breed in general. Hence why if you do get a proven pair, make sure to ask the age of the fish and how long they've been breeding.

And there's nothing wrong with doing it in a 29/30! I think I missspoke (kinda hard to convey same tonality over the internet). I bred them in the 20 because that's what I had at the time (and not because I had some super mystery trade secret lol). I personally like parent raised fry (the "smallest" tank you can responsibly breed discus in helps the fry see their parents better as there is less room for them to get lost/the parents can coral them easier as well) because I think it helps with the development of the fry (discus and angels are some of the only species where fry will actually consume the slime coat as they grow) as well as help them learn maternal/paternal instincts (for both fry and parents) to get better spawns. And even if the nutrition and parent thing isn't true, I like to think it is and it is the most fascinating experience to watch your babies raise other babies! And it's also a lot less work for you in the end (they fan the eggs, they clean the eggs, they herd the fry, they feed the fry, etc). In essence, the smaller breeding tanks rather than a large one (then removing the parents) help out with this; its just my personal preferance

I guess I added that "for a reason" bit in order to give myself room to defend myself because I thought maybe you or someone else would be upset with me for it (sorry...Im paranoid like that :p);

12. OP
    OP
    i

Thanks, my lfs had someone bring in a pair of blue ones ( can't remember what exact kind.) I wanted them but got sold. They have a really pretty orange pair there now and I'm going to see if I can get my hands on them. Thanks alot for the advice, it so hard to actually learn on the internet cause there's so many different opinions. So it's awesome to get more knowledge from someone who's done it. I would love to raise my own.

13. KinsKicks

If you want a second opinion/view (which is never bad) you can ask @Discusluv (I've called her over :p) as well. Shes one of the best discus keepers here and can provide a secondary opinion as well (in fact, her beautiful Alenquers are breeding currently
    Discus At It Again... :))

And don't forget to update! I love knowing there is someone else obsessed with discus too!

14. D

Discusluv Well Known Member Member

Everything you said is perfect...

15. OP
    OP
    i

Thanks, do you still have discus?

Hi, did you get your discus as a pair or did you pair them yourself?

16. KinsKicks

Yes I do :). I have 9 adults in my 90g, although I will be upgrading in the future because I think it's too small, and I do want some other varieties :p (discus fever lolz!). I had 11 at the start of the summer, but after a construction incident, I had lost my golden pigeon (who formed the first aforementioned pair...she left her hubby behind:() a and blue diamond.

I don'd breed discus anymore because I don't have the space for them like I did when I first started (I got rid of one of the 55 to make space for my giant tank and the 90 is the mentioned discus tank) and I don't have as much time anymore (work 3 jobs + school lol) and I've got like a billion more tanks as well. I do breed angels right now because they don't require as much as the discus did, and it's just as rewarding :)

17. OP
    OP
    i

So I know u can keep angles and discus together. Which is easier in terms of raising and pairing?

18. KinsKicks

Just to clarify, I don't keep my discus and angels together; they have they're own species tanks. In general, if you plan to keep them together, it can be a hit or miss, but they generally do better if raised together young.

And if I'm reading your question right, youre asking if angels or discus are easier to raise?

19. OP
    OP
    i

Yes, which ones are more likely to breed and babies easier to raise?

20. KinsKicks

At least in my experience, angelfish hands down. They pair up soo easily and breed very readily. For example, I had a F-F pair, lol they do, do this, that were attached to the hip, and I finally got around getting proper males for them, and after 2 days of isolating them with their new mate, they had already paired up and spawned the next week. They really aren't that finicky (although I have had some finicky angels). Discus could take months or years (lol...broken record player)

Also, I do believe the conditions are a bit harder to meet for discus; you need slightly more acidic, softer water and it must be very clean and you have to keep the hardness stable otherwise you risk compromising the eggs.

Angels, because they have been in the industry for so long and have been domestically raised equally as long, they could give two farts about conditions (they do appreciate stability, but a bit of fluctuation doesnt kill them); they'll breed anywhere from acidic to hard waters, lay in community tanks or by themselves. Temperatures don't really matter to them too much either(although I do try to mimic the Amazon seasons to help induce breeding behavior anyhow)

As for babies, that part is similar, except that when your discus reach about an 1-1.5in you'll need to do massive WC daily until they reach a juvenile size, then you can switch to every other day WC (although personally, I do daily until they're about 4.5-5in). That's the biggest part; with angels, I can get away doing every 3 days and still get really beautiful and healthy fish.