Breeding Discus

1. virusmk

virusmk Well Known Member Member

Hi All members.

I My discus pair have fry... very exited about it and looking forward to look after them.

here they are 1 week old just started to swim freely today.

Any tips how to maximize survival of frys

2. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

Congrats on the fry but ive never had discus so i cant help with raising them ither then lots of ckean water

3. OP
    OP
    virusmk

that is chalenge as i had to switch my canister, hob and sponge in 80g and try not to disturb little ones till they are little bit larger and be able to cope current without loosing their parents :(

4. S

Srrman New Member Member

I can't help with info, but congratulations are in order. That is a cool video of the little fry with the parents keep us informed. I would like to see their progress.

5. a

aquaman86 Valued Member Member

Keep the parents with the fry because the fry eats slime on their parents skin. Use sponge filters to keep waters clean and siphon any debris to keep water clean. And try not to change too much water at once. Good luck on raising them.

6. M

Mike7381 New Member Member

Be careful, if you see the parent have scale rid off or damage, it is caused by the fry, you need to separate them if that happen. As for the fries, keep the water parameter stable, do 20-30% water change every other day and feed small amount at least 4 times a day

7. OP
    OP
    virusmk

Thanks to all of ur tips.

Been feeding 4 times a day of BBS beef heart mix and tetra flakes and pellets but sims that babies are not really interested in crushed flakes and pellets but always hungry on meats .

Been doing bout 30% wc with 40/60 ro/tap water.

For first time could not be more happy as i still have bout 30 babies left out of about 50 .

Some sims like falling behind with development comparing to others but always hungry which is good sign. time will tell how good they are going to turn out in few weeks.

will upload some pictures soon

8. Slug

Slug Well Known Member Member

Nice! Looking forward to the pics.

You will always get some that fall behind, be it genes or just not being able to compete. It's like any being and off spring. It's hard but this is where culling comes into play. You may not want to do it right away as you are just starting so culling most of your brood wouldn't give you the experience (unless they are physically deformed and such). But it is a good practice to pick up.