Breeding discus fish

nicole

Active Member
Member
Messages
222
Reaction score
1
I have a pair of red ghost which have layed eggs,within a day the eggs were covered in a white fluffy growth I doubt if the eggs are any good but the male is still fanning them.I am unsure of what to do.should I take the eggs out or leave them?Finally I would like to say hI to everyone as I'm a new member.
 

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
25,141
Reaction score
27
Location
Denver, Colorado
Experience
Just started
it sounds like they've been gotten by fungus. I'd remove them. if you want to try & see what they do, remove them to a container filled with tank water (keeping the eggs in water). When they next lay eggs, you can try removing them (as usual, keeping them in water) to a container treated with:


Welcome to fishlore.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
N

nicole

Active Member
Member
Messages
222
Reaction score
1
thanks,I agree most likely fungus .I will try the container and see what they do.cheers

FLBettaCouple said:
it sounds like they've been gotten by fungus. I'd remove them. if you want to try & see what they do, remove them to a container filled with tank water (keeping the eggs in water). When they next lay eggs, you can try removing them (as usual, keeping them in water) to a container treated with:


Welcome to fishlore.
[/Thanks for advice,just letting you guys know I put fish back in community tank they laid again but the male ate them most likely because he felt frettend by the other fish,I will get it right sooner or later(I hope!) anyway thanks for the help and happy fish keepingquote]
 

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
25,141
Reaction score
27
Location
Denver, Colorado
Experience
Just started
Maybe you can take the fish out, including the proud parents, to a big bowl or something that you could cover while you moved the eggs out after their next spawn?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
N

nicole

Active Member
Member
Messages
222
Reaction score
1
Yeah maybe,but its good to let the parents fan the eggs until they become wrigglers.I should put them back on their own but they sulk when moved to much.I love the photo's of your tanks you guys have posted keep up the good work.
 

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
25,141
Reaction score
27
Location
Denver, Colorado
Experience
Just started
nicole said:
Yeah maybe,but its good to let the parents fan the eggs until they become wrigglers.I should put them back on their own but they sulk when moved to much.I love the photo's of your tanks you guys have posted keep up the good work.
too bad the happy couple can't have their own tank to do their thing in. it sounds like the other fish are making it harder for you to get a successful spawn.
Thanks - we're working on our new fishblog too.. as I get time, I'll have pages with lots of pics for each fish and threads on all the fish.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
N

nicole

Active Member
Member
Messages
222
Reaction score
1
I'll be watching out for that,by the way stupid question,what time is it where you are?I'm australian
 

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,542
Reaction score
42
Location
Netherlands
BettaCouple is the man who never sleeps. Something to do with Vampire bettas or something. It's 1.17pm my time (Netherlands, Central European Time). Oh, and welcome to Fishlore, and I loooove Australia!

 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
OP
N

nicole

Active Member
Member
Messages
222
Reaction score
1
armadillo said:
BettaCouple is the man who never sleeps. Something to do with Vampire bettas or something. It's 1.17pm my time (Netherlands, Central European Time). Oh, and welcome to Fishlore, and I loooove Australia!


Thanks,Yeah I'm gettin that impression with the vampire bettas LOL.It's 10.10pm here, and I'm lovin this forum you guys are all so friendly,been checkin out everyone's posts and they're really good!!!!!
 

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,720
Reaction score
42
Location
Cape Cod MA
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Nicole
and a 'late' welcome to fishlore! I just came across your posts. I wanted to tell you that I just love.. love..love the discus fish! they are so beautiful. I would love to have one of them in my 29 gallon tank,but not too sure if the tank is big enough for them. But I sure wish I could have one of my own. Ive checked out the discus photos in the fish photo section and fell in love with them.
How are your discus doing now? any new eggs as of yet??
~ kate
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11
OP
N

nicole

Active Member
Member
Messages
222
Reaction score
1
Thanks kate,I'm not to sure with the gallon measurements as I measure in litres to lazy to convert the measurements, I had to put the pair back in with the other discus they look like they are ready to lay but I don't think the eggs will last until I put them back on their own.I'm still learning and hopefully I will get it right one day soon,I would love to have some fry from this pair.Just letting you know if you do get a discus you will want more,they are very addictive
 

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,720
Reaction score
42
Location
Cape Cod MA
Experience
More than 10 years
HI Nicole
Yes, I can see where they would be addictive! ;D When I look at all those beautiful salt water fish with the fabulous color combinations I wish I could do SW, but its a lot of work. The discus is as beautiful a fish as any Saltwater fish species and a great chance to have such a colorful fish in a Freshwater tank. good luck with your discus!! ;D
 

VidW

New Member
Member
Messages
40
Reaction score
0
hI nicole!
can you put your discus' pic here?
I want to know how to determine gender
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #15
OP
N

nicole

Active Member
Member
Messages
222
Reaction score
1
VidW said:
hI nicole!
can you put your discus' pic here?
I want to know how to determine gender
Hi, It's hard to determine sex until u actually have a pair that are spawning.Female have a tube for egg laying and male have a pointed small bump.Two female can also lay eggs and think they are a pair,the best way to tell is when they are spawning watch what they do,the male should be fertilising eggs while female is laying.I'll post pics for you but I don't think that will help you as I had trouble trying to take pic of underneath fish.Best of luck with your fish.
The female is the cropped pic.
 

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,542
Reaction score
42
Location
Netherlands
capekate said:
Hello Nicole
and a 'late' welcome to fishlore! I just came across your posts. I wanted to tell you that I just love.. love..love the discus fish! they are so beautiful. I would love to have one of them in my 29 gallon tank,but not too sure if the tank is big enough for them. But I sure wish I could have one of my own. Ive checked out the discus photos in the fish photo section and fell in love with them.
How are your discus doing now? any new eggs as of yet??
~ kate
Yeah, Discus are really good-looking fish. If one day I have this huuuge tank. What's their personalities like? Are they as attaching as mollies or bettas?
 

VidW

New Member
Member
Messages
40
Reaction score
0
I have a question here....
my discus.. 1of them is colorful and the other1 has a lot of patterns...
they are both big enough to breed I think.

Today when I move them to the new tank for breeding,
the colorful one is useing its mouth to "kiss" the side way of the tank and keep going up and down ...
wut does this mean?
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
257
Guests online
3,633
Total visitors
3,890

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom