Breeding Discus fish 40 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Bladerunner2k5, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Bladerunner2k5New MemberMember

I have 5 Discus fish in a 40 gallon tank and two of them have paired off and laid eggs on side of some sumatran driftwood. The eggs have now hatched and I was after any advice as this is the first time I have had Discus fish. The other 3 Discus are relatively young (two around 3" diameter and one is around 4.5" diameter). The parents are also only around 12 months old but fairly large (6+" diameter). I have taken the other fish I had in the tank and put in my other 40 gallon tank so the only other fish I now have in the tank are 6x corys which I don't think will be much of a threat to the new fry. Any advice that can be given would be much appreciated. I am aware that the fry have to be kept with the parents for several days as they feed off some sort of mucus on the parents bodies but above that I am a little clueless.

Thanks is advance. Dave. :;banaman

2. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

So the only fish in the tank are the parents and the Corys. Right?
    For now leave the fry with the parents and keep the water extremely clean.
    Carol

3. Bladerunner2k5New MemberMember

No I also have three other Discus, two small (3") and one slightly larger (4.5"~) and the corys who don't seem interested in the fry. The parents keep chasing the other discus even though they don't seem particularly interested. I don't have the facility to remove the other 3 discus unfortunately.

4. SlugWell Known MemberMember

I'll echo what Carol said. Here is a rough hatching timeline for a baby discus.

Day 1, Eggs laid, fertilized ones turn dark about 24+ hours later - hatches about 55 hours later
    Day 3, Wrigglers
    Day 5, Freeswimming (counted as day born)
    Day 12, Eating BBS (one week old)
    Day 18, Picking at Black Worms (CBW) (nearly 2 weeks old)
    Day 23, still w/dad eating BBS, CBW
    Day 25, eating CBW (nearly 3 weeks old)
    Day 26, moved dad (3 weeks old)
    Day 32, moved babies (4 weeks old)

Of course you can change out foods, but this is basically what you should be going with. Your basically going to want to start introducing them to new foods about the 2 week mark (Crushed flakes, crushed freeze dried worms, etc). Still small enough for them to eat it, but big enough for them to see. The BBS can be continued with the other feeding as well. The BBS isn't needed, but its a food that seems to really work well for getting the babies off the parents and on their own. You'll notice when they arn't feeding off the parents anymore, but I would move the fry out at about 2-3 week mark once you see them taking other foods. Some people leave them until about 4 weeks...but once they are eating on their own theres no reason they need to stay.

Hope I helped, feel free to ask more questions here or PM me.
    BBS fouls the water pretty fast, so if you feed it be on top of water changes.

5. Bladerunner2k5New MemberMember

Thanks very much for the help. Just one question , what does BBS and CBW stand for? :confused: I seem to be at stage 3 at the moment, lots of wrigglers on the area where the eggs were layed. Have had other species fry previously but this is the first time my Discus have reproduced so is all new to me so any help you provide is greatly appreciated.

Cheers, :)

6. jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

You could look into getting a tank divider maybe if the other fish become an issue. Bbs is baby brine shrimp, not sure bout the other one.

7. SlugWell Known MemberMember

BBS = Baby Brine Shrimp
    CBW = California Black Worms (not needed and not as widely used anymore but still a decent food)

8. Bladerunner2k5New MemberMember

Ah thank for replies, will try the baby brine shrimp in around 10 days as am up to wrigglers stage at present. Any idea if the other Discus are likely to show any interest in munching the discus fry? :;smack

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice