Breeding different colour Zebra Danios

Mix

Hi everyone

I have 1 green and 1 orange Zebra Danio (as well as a good couple other types of fish). I did not know until now that they thrive in larger numbers (of Danios) so I will be getting some more tomorrow. Our local store has yellow and blue ones.

My question is, would the different colours breed? And if they do, what colour would their babies be? I am not on a mission to breed, it would be awesome if they did but I also see the missions involved with having to separate the parents from the eggs and all that so I probably won't be worrying about all of that. However, I am just curious to know what colour they would come out. I literally cannot find any info on this question on the internet.

Thanks!

SouthAmericanCichlids

Do you mean glo tetras? If so, you can breed them, but you can't sell them. In answer to your question, I believe what happens is they have different coloured babies, the colors don't mix, and there aren't 2 colors on a single fish.

Upvote 0

Mix

The pictures I have seen of Glo-fish do not have stripes, like the zebra danio? Is that correct? Mine definitely have clearly visible stripes?

Upvote 0

SouthAmericanCichlids

Can we see a pic?

Upvote 0

Mix

Here you go. Hard to get a good pic. Flash kinda reflects on their scales.

Side question... Green is bloated or pregnant, or sick... been getting bigger over the last few weeks. Like it's been a while. Pet store said it's too long to be pregnancy... could be a parasite so gave me medicine drops to put in the water which I've been doing for almost a week now.

Green is also being super mean lately. Orange used to chase Green all over the tank but last few days it's been Green doing the chasing... like if Orange comes near, Green will go for him and chase him away! any ideas?

Attachments

• 20210714_194228.jpg
    20210714_194228.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 20210714_214627.jpg
    20210714_214627.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 20210716_054122.jpg
    20210716_054122.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 20210716_054207.jpg
    20210716_054207.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210716_054259.jpg
    20210716_054259.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 24
Upvote 0

SouthAmericanCichlids

They look to be glo ones.

Upvote 0

Chewbacca773

Here you go. Hard to get a good pic. Flash kinda reflects on their scales.

Side question... Green is bloated or pregnant, or sick... been getting bigger over the last few weeks. Like it's been a while. Pet store said it's too long to be pregnancy... could be a parasite so gave me medicine drops to put in the water which I've been doing for almost a week now.

Green is also being super mean lately. Orange used to chase Green all over the tank but last few days it's been Green doing the chasing... like if Orange comes near, Green will go for him and chase him away! any ideas?
yes, they look like glo ones. If they breed, the coloring will be dominant or recessive from each parent, so depending on that, the coloring will be determined

Upvote 0

Mix

Oh! So, how does one tell the difference between glo and zebra, if they both have the horizontal stripes?

Upvote 0

SnookusFish

Oh! So, how does one tell the difference between glo and zebra, if they both have the horizontal stripes?
Same species except the glo ones are produces by the glo fish company, they would never be found in the wild and are frowned upon by some hobbyists

Upvote 0

FishDin

• FROM WEB

• The naturally occurring Albino Zebra Danios lack pigmentation and have an off-white to a pinkish color.
  • The rarer Golden Zebra Danio has a golden background color and silvery-white stripes.
  • There are also genetically modified zebrafish that glow under a fluorescent light. These GloFish Zebra Danios come in green, orange, pink, blue and purple colors.
  • Transparent Zebra Danios were created by scientists for research and are not yet available commercially (but may soon be). They lack all pigmentations, so you can see right through their skin and observe their internal organs.
  • There is also a Long Fin Zebra Danio, which has fancy elongated dorsal, pectoral, pelvic, anal and caudal fins.
Source: Zebra Danios: Complete Care and Species Guide

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
  • Question
Replies
Views
Meganliiz
  • Question