breeding cory cats

1. tom5678 Member Member

i have 5 cory catfish in my 10 gallon fish tank and about a month ago there were some small white things in the tank. i think that they were eggs but i was not sure. i put 2 of the eggs into a breeder cage so that they did not get eaten. but they did not hatch =[. i think that i could have damaged them.
    first of all were they actually eggs?
    is there any special way to get them to breed as i have only ever had one batch of possible eggs?
    how do i get them to hatch and what are the fry like? will they take pellets or flake food?? or shrimp food?
    please help =;D
    :;thx

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Breeding is not my thing, but I do know that corys will attach their eggs to surfaces, as opposed to just scattering eggs and letting them fall where they may. I'm sure someone more helpful than I will be by shortly.

3. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I don't know much about breeding cories but mine attached their eggs to the glass.
    Some dropped to the gravel while I watched.

It's hard for anyone to tell what they were without a pic.

I'm not sure why mine decided to breed.
    I ended up with one young one by mistake.
    The fry are way too small for pellets ect, they're almost microscopic.

Here's a pretty cool video of mine:
    Cories Spawning
    You'll see momma attaching the egss.

Here's how one of my eggs survived by accident:
    Is that what I think it is?

I'm sure someone else can better answer your questions.

4. Regal Well Known Member Member

My 5 cories (or two of them anyway lol) bred in a 10 gallon. I took out the heater and used cold water when I did water changes. The cooler water is supposed to simulate the rainy season and stimulate breeding. I think the cooler water is what got them to lay eggs because they never laid eggs in almost two years in my 75 gallon.

The first time they laid eggs I pulled the eggs out and put them in a jar with an airstone. The eggs got fungus and didn't survive. The second time I left the eggs in the 10 gallon and pulled the adult cories out. That worked and the eggs hatched in about a week. They laid the eggs on the glass sides of the tank. They weren’t all in one place but in little patches.

In the beginning they seemed to use the sponge filter and Java Moss as a buffet. I fed the babies Hikari First Bites and then switched to ground up shrimp pellets. I tried to research what they should be fed when they outgrew the first bites but couldn't find anything. The ground shrimp pellets seem to be working though. I ended up with probably 50 babies. (I don't really know how many but at least 50) They are 2 months old now and living in a 55 gallon with lots of Java Moss, Floating Riccia and driftwood. They range in size from about 1/2 inch to 1 inch.