breeding convicts

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by lollipopkiller, Dec 31, 2012.

1. lollipopkillerWell Known MemberMember

what size tank would you need to breed a pair of convicts? can diffrent color convicts breed together? what water temp would be needed to make them breed? what would i do with the babys if i cant keep them all or give them to family?

2. RogueAgent94Fishlore VIPMember

Hi,

A 20g is minimum tank size for a breeding pair of convicts. Yeah, different color cons will breed together. They breed with anything lol. Water temp is best at 80*F. Before you attempt to breed them you should go to your LFS and talk to the people there to see if they'll take extra babies off your hands. You can also sell some on Craigslist but very few people look for fish on there IME.

3. lollipopkillerWell Known MemberMember

yes because the owner of my LFS personally gave me a female con she is a blue color with orange/yellow fins and black strips and my male is a grey con with black stripes and red/black fins
    male
    121231_0000.jpg
    female
    121231_0007.jpg

4. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

After their last spawn, my male killed the female in a 29. If you start seeing any problems, a tank divider might be necessary. If you plan on trying to raise the fry, then the larger the tank the better. If you got pink convicts, the LFS will probably take them, whereas they may pass on the regular ones. Ah, I see you have them already. nevermind then.

5. lollipopkillerWell Known MemberMember

they are a really loving pair right now no fights at all a bit of chasing at first but not much anymore they swim together as a pair and i cant really serperate them

6. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

So were mine. I had to put all that junk in the tank to try to provide protection, and he still got her. I tried dither fish too. I got rid of him, but still have a female from their last spawn. I fed mine to the other fish, and one happened to survive. She is a nasty little fish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqacT4_EFwM

7. lollipopkillerWell Known MemberMember

wow well sometimes diffrent fish have diffrent personalitys my con had a green terror in with him and it was a female and he seemed to take care of her till she died of a disease he tryed to nudge her to swim and guarded her till she died than he was really depressed and hid from me for a month so the pet store owner gave me this girl now hes happyer than ever but if they have any issues ill be sure to move her

8. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Yes exactly - I'm not saying that yours will do what mine did - just letting you know that it's something to keep an eye out for.

9. lollipopkillerWell Known MemberMember

ok ill be sure to look out for it thanks :)

10. lollipopkillerWell Known MemberMember

if i bred them would the babys be purebreds even if the parents are diffrent colors? the parents are purebreds

11. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I'm not a convict expert, but they both look like regular convicts to me. The only way they wouldn't be pure convicts is if one of the parents was a hybrid.

12. lollipopkillerWell Known MemberMember

ya the girl was forced to take the picture so she changed color

13. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

I'm not sure what you're asking about purebred? A convict is a convict. Put 1 male and 1 female con in water. They make babies.

14. lollipopkillerWell Known MemberMember

like they arnt diffrent species or types from color because i heard about like tbar covicts and pink convicts and yellow convicts

15. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Fish will change their color, so to say, when they are stressed. Also, when they are looking to breed. And some can change based on their mood.

16. lollipopkillerWell Known MemberMember

oh ok it just confused be about the colors and stuff

17. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

Color variants are just that, variants. Pink cons are the same species. Both of yours are regular convicts. It is normal for females to have more color. Mine has blue.

18. lollipopkillerWell Known MemberMember

so blue is normal? well thats good the pet store owner said said she was a tbar blue convict

19. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

They made that up :)

My female pink has blue too.

20. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice