Breeding Convict Cichlids?

MD_Plants
I have an empty 65 I want to breed some fish in and I think convicts could be the best choice?

A201
I'd rethink Convicts. They are very prolific breeders, but you would be hard pressed to find anyone who would buy one. People can't give them away in my area. Convicts cost about $2.50 at my LFS.
Research the SalvinI Cichlid. They are another midsized Central American Cichlid that's easy to breed. Salvinis are more colorful than Convicts and probably much more marketable.

DuaneV
$2.50!?!?! Theyre .50 cents at my local Petco all the time and it takes them FOREVER to get rid of them.

MD_Plants
Wow I love the look of the Salvinis! I’m setting up a few hundred-gallon bins outside for the coming summer and might get a few

A201
I once kept this breeding pair of Salvinis. I wish I had them back.
20181210_090941.jpg

SarahMcGee
My lfs literally puts convict fry in the feeder tank with the guppies and sells them for $0.13 because they get so many people bringing them in.

Gareth9113
I need some help with this topic, I was at my LFS and they had convict cichlid fry. However they sold the parents and the other fish in the tank were eating all of the fry. I took 13 home (as many as I could get) and put them in a breeder box that's in my 20 gallon cycled tank, my question is do any of you guys now how to take care of them? And about this topic like everyone else said convicts breed super fast and arn't really a fish you can sell easily. If you want the experience of breeding them then you can give it a shot but you'll need to know what to do with them when they become juvis. My LFS sell them at $9.50 each O.O so I can easily sell juvI convicts for $5 each and they go pretty fast, so really it depends on the supply and demand of convicts in you area. Go to your local fish store and see how much they sell there convicts for (generally if its high you can sell them faster).

bentaz
I'm thinking of setting up a tank and breeding convicts just as feeders for my cod. I know they are prolific breeders but then Murray cod are prolific eaters. Lol.
Seems like a healthier way to get feeders instead of buying the sad, sorry, mistreated and often sick feeders from the stores.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom