Breeding Columbian Sharks

ColumbianShark3

A member of Monsterfishkeepers has gotten pair of CSs to spawn twice (male ate eggs first time while trying to mouth brood. and the second time the eggs were not fertilized)
Here is a video showing what a sexually mature female Columbian shark looks like
as you can see she has what look like extra fin over her analfins. as of right now that's one of the only ways to tell them apart.

This is the thread posted after the second spawn (pictures of eggs included)

It is suspected that shifts in salinity/SG trigger the spawn.. (for him it only required a few gallons of freshwater to trigger the spawn)

When he topped off the tank (with freshwater) the spawn occurred over night..

Merged back to back posts.
Ken

Sharkdude

That's is so cool! Maybe one day mine will spawn...I got 5 so I got pretty good odds of having a female.

ColumbianShark3

Yet another possible spawn for an MFK member

Sharkdude

Lucky! How long does it take for CS's to sexually mature? Mine are just over a year since I've had them they were babies when I got them.

ColumbianShark3

Sharkdude said:
Lucky! How long does it take for CS's to sexually mature? Mine are just over a year since I've had them they were babies when I got them.
It should be more about size than years... and from what I can tell both of the people on MFK had 9" plus sized cats..

Sharkdude

My largest one is about 9'' maybe more. The others are around two inches smaller.

ColumbianShark3

Sharkdude

So cool, I can't wait for mine to do that !

CichlidConossuier

Awesome vids and info ColumbianShark3!

Real quick, I was watching the youtube clip of the breeding behaviour. So according to the above information. At the very beginning of the movie, the active one (that to me seems like the larger one), has the extra fins. So is this the female?

Sharkdude

Yeah the female gets an extra set of fins while in breeding mode.

CichlidConossuier

Awesome I never knew that! Learn something new everyday I suppose.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom