Breeding Clown Killifish/ RO system question

pjeterschornstein

Reaction score
Hey all!
I've been trying to breed my clown killis for a while now with no luck... I thought it might be that snails/ shrimps/ scuds eating the eggs but I moved them for a clean tank for a month now and still nothing.. I have a male and 3 females. They all looks extremely healthy and fully colored. I see the male showing off, courting and chasing the females a lot but I never seen them actually breeding. It's a walsted heavily planted tank and there's floaters and moss among other plants. I upped the temp to 25c and did frequent water changes.
I have very hard water here: PH 7.6 and high GH and KH although they really seem happy...
I'm thinking of either bringing another male and female and see what happen or to invest in a small RO system so I can lower the PH.
What would you recommend to do? my other fish is dwarf puffer and soon some bumblebee goby, both don't need the RO so I don't want to buy it just to discover it's not the problem

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A dwarf Puffer will eat eggs and fry if he finds them, as will the extra females. Also, E. annulatus are one of the few killies that likes slightly warmer waters. I'd try another 1-2 degrees C.

Also, what do you consider "high" GH and KH? It might not be as bad as you think.

OP
P

pjeterschornstein

Reaction score
Oh I wouldn't put the puffer with them I just do spices tank.
Do you think the females are eating the eggs? they are actually more aggressive with each others then the males... Should I try to separate a pair?
About the temp- it's really strange, I found a few places online (inc a vid of Cory from Aquarium co op) claiming that they can be kept without a heater. I tried that 21-22c and I can see they did not like it as much. I put it now on 26c.
GH is more then 21 and KH 15-20. theres never Nitrate or Nitrite.
I ordered yesterday a small Dennerle RO system. I'll try that.
I really like them and mine are not as sensitive as people say. I want my 15 gallon to be full of them.
Btw I feed them almost strictly Daphnia but sometime a bit of homemade flakes.
I'll report here if anything happens.

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Something to try. If you are unsuccessful with what you are doing?
Consider letting the nitrates rise for a few weeks, then doing a normal large water change with slightly cooler water . Using rain water is always an option.
I am unsuccessful for the last 5 months myself, but the few clowns I have were breed by a local club member in a tiny tank of just a few gallons using the technique mentioned. I have an excuse believing mine are still a bit young,but am following the progress of this thread with interest pjeterschornstein
image.jpg

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Daphnia sometimes acts like a laxative, might not want to overdo that. Hatching bbs is simple enough, and that's almost pure protein. It could also provide food for fry that you might not see.

Yeah, that's fairly hard water. I'd cut it with R/O by 50%, just change it slowly. Otherwise it looks like you're doing things all right. Good Luck!

New Threads