Breeding cherry shrimp

kansas

I just got my first cherry shrimp a couple of weeks abo. How long till I'm apt to see any babies?

If I were to put yellow Neocaridina davidi with the red ones, would the offspring be a mix of red, orange and yellow, or would they revert to the wild colors?

richiep

They will revert back to wild colour after a couple of generations, unless you know the age of them youll just have to wait until you see the saddle forming, from birth its around 5 months to breed

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

Congratulations on taking the dive into shrimp. Before you know it you'll have multiple tanks. I'm up to 3; one for red, one for blue, and one for culls (and I'm looking around for a place to put a tank so I can get yellow ones).

Upvote 0

kansas

Congratulations on taking the dive into shrimp. Before you know it you'll have multiple tanks. I'm up to 3; one for red, one for blue, and one for culls (and I'm looking around for a place to put a tank so I can get yellow ones).
My small house will keep me under control.

Upvote 0

barbiespoodle

Lol, jett, you are mirroring me, I started with red, then set up a blue tank and most recently a cull tank.

Kansas, I also have a small house, I still managed to find room and electrical outlets to recently set up my 4th tank, don't be so sure that will keep you under control, these silly little things have a way of getting under your skin.

Now speaking from my personal experience. Since it is usual for only half grown or full grown shrimp to be put up for sell, I've had berried females with in weeks of setting up a new tank. Out of curiosity, I looked back at my pics to get a time line on the blue tank I set up this year. My first pics of the blues were in June. At that time I started with 11. Today I took some new pics so this a a 3 month time line.

Upvote 0

TheNacho

The time until you start seeing babies depends on your tank- I didn't understand why my shrimps weren't reproducing for months, then suddenly got 100+ babies within weeks as soon as the water got warmer.

Regarding the colors, a big chunk of them will likely revert to wild colorations but some will be a mix or one ofthe original colors. I've had 5 adult shrimp, all blue, and the babies turned out all shades of blue, green, brown, orange, translucent, black, yellow, and of course wild ones. The babies I see now, after a few months and a few generations (bo new shrimp added to the tank), are mainly light blue, translucent, or wild.

Upvote 0

FeederGuppies

If I were to put yellow Neocaridina davidi with the red ones, would the offspring be a mix of red, orange and yellow, or would they revert to the wild colors?
I bred a blue and red shrimp together. The first generation was all wild/brown. Once the browns bred to other browns and reds/blues, I started seeing more colors. There are still a lot of browns, but also blues, reds, greenish ones, and even shrimp with both red and blue on them.

Upvote 0

RelaxingBettas

I finally found a yellow male yesterday and am about to take the plunge and separate mine before they get up to breeding. Exciting!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views
kansas
  • Question
Replies
Views
MyFishAddiction