Breeding Bronze Corydoras

1. Kalawix

Kalawix New Member Member

Well I would like to breed my bronze corydoras catfish. Im thinking i have 2 females though. But they always seem to stick together. Could you sex these Bronze Corydoras? 20180613_102049.jpg 20180613_102048.jpg

2. mattgirl

mattgirl Well Known Member Member

The only way I can tell mine apart is by size. The females are quite a bit bigger than the males. Both of yours look to be about the same size so I am guessing they are both female. I am guessing 2 females instead of 2 males because they look to be pretty chubby around the middle.

They stick together because that is what most corys do.

3. Cheesearmada

Cheesearmada Valued Member Member

They both look like females to me. Cories like to swim together, with my salt and pepper cories they all stick together.

Males will be smaller

4. Cheesearmada

Cheesearmada Valued Member Member

@mattgirl beat me to it :D

5. OP
    OP
    Kalawix

Kalawix New Member Member

So if I bought 2 male Bronze Corydoras would they partner up with my females?
    Also what if I wanted a different species would the reproduce with different species?

6. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

Corydoras don't pair. They reverse-harem. Do the opposite for them you would do with guppies. Get 2 males for every 1 female. A breeding group of corys will have multiple males and one female.

7. mattgirl

mattgirl Well Known Member Member

You only need one male but the more the better if you have the room for them. Cory's act more natural with more in their shoal. If it were me I would add at least 4 more.

Since Bronze and albino are just different colors of the same species they will breed but all of the fry will be bronze. Well, that has been mt experience with them. I have 3 albino, started with 3 bronze. They bred and now I have more bronze than I can count (they move to fast for a head count). Most of the eggs I have watch being layed are from my largest albino female.

I also have 4 false julii in the same tank. They will feed with the others but pretty much keep to there own species and sadly have never reproduced.

I agree with @IHaveADogToo you really only need one female but when it comes to cory's the more the better :)