breeding box killed all my fry

mcminnj

Reaction score
I bought a breeding box because we had a pregenent guppy and we went to ask wat is best to keep fry in. She suggested the box so i bought it. I got home and there was about 40 fry guppys all over my 5 gallon tank, I cought about 20 of them and the rest got eaten as i was doing it, Well 10 got out of the box. and i was putting in a few flakes at morning lunch and night because i wanted to keep them in it. i done this for a while. After a while we found them all dead!. I am wondering why they all died. I have 2 of them left and 5 tiny baby fry!!!

if you can help please do so.......
James

leafgirl115

Valued Member
Reaction score
I tried a breeder box befor and had a horible time with it. My fry kept escaping or geting stuck in the holes. I finaly when out and got a breeder net. This has worked great for me no problems other than stunted growth but you get that with bereeder boxes to.

Im not shur why all your fry died maby not enough water flow? Or they could have just been sickly.

Im shur you will get a lot more fry so dont wory about it Just keep trying and you will be awarded Soon you will have little fry swiming all around.

Joe G

Valued Member
Reaction score
I BOUGHT BREEDING BOX , put my fish in it for 1 day and took her out, as i had 1 fish die in it also. be for she gave birth. now i just let them have their fry in the main tank and take the fry out with a net and put them in a 5 gallon nursery tank. i have not lost any fish in my nursery tank.

SunnShadow

Valued Member
Reaction score
The breeding net works fine for one or two fry, but for larger numbers it is best to have a seperate nursery tank. This gives them room to swim and grow until they are big enough to go into the main tank. I've never had any luck putting the pregnant female in the net. She always stresses out and reabsorbs the babies. I much prefer letting them give birth in the main tank, and if I'm lucky enough to find the babies before they get eaten, it's like winning a lottery.

S.

lintulover666

Reaction score
sorry for your losses. I use a breeders net but a nursery tank is always the best option .

lokky.funky

Valued Member
Reaction score
I net them out from the main tank and keep it in my 15 gallon cement tank.

They eat like crazy and grow more rapidly when kept in these setups.

I've heard that the breeder box is one **** of a thing for these small ones. Beware of it.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The only thing I have ever even considered using a breeders net for is to seperate an aggressive fish from the others in the tank temporarily and that is only for a short time until the fish settles down. They work very well for that purpose.

Rose

sasha

Valued Member
Reaction score
It could be possible that the fish flakes killed them i bought two breeder boxes and had no problems with them i fed the fry liquifry food for a few days then crushed up to a powder flakes i probably had about 80 babys in them some were baby mollies and they did fine they are now in a 20 gallon tank by thereselves and growing fast ( i have only about forty left now as there was a small red pincer crab in the tank and the little ****** was sneakily eating them as they are so curious they got too close the crab is now deceased of natural causes aaawwwww lol ;D

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I put my pregnant guppy in a separate tank because it gives the pregnant fish a lot of room. It usually doesn't eat the fry or anything else for 48 hours. I net the female guppy out after it releases the fry. If I already have a lot of the same color, I just leave the fry in the main tank.

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I put my pregnant guppy in a separate tank because it gives the pregnant fish a lot of room. It usually doesn't eat the fry or anything else for 48 hours. I net the female guppy out after it releases the fry. If I already have a lot of the same color and don't have room, I just leave the fry in the main tank.

justaplayr

Reaction score
I use a breeding box religiously. Right after the female releases all of her fry, I will take her out of the box, and take the "V" out of the box. Then I will get a gallon sized ziplock bag, and take the box out of my main tank, and release the fry into the bag. I have a 5 gallon nursery set up just for fry, so I will let the fry go in it. I have had much success using the breeding box, cause it gives me a larger number of fry that don't get eaten by other fish.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Definitely go with a nursery tank. You can buy & setup a 1 gallon with filter and airpump for less than $10 at walmart.. then a little heater for them and you'll be alright for a small group of fry, but that's a temp thing... If you're going to end up with a lot of fry or want your fry to get to full size, then you're best setting up a 5 gallon or 10 gallon for them to swim & grow. Just be sure the filter intake has netting securely over it. Our little Platy fry were so happy when they went from their 1.5 gallon to the 10 gallon and swim around a lot more now.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom