Breeding=bonsai?

Timmg08

I am wondering if current breeders would mind answering some ethical questions I have been having about breeding Bettas? I have seen most people say you should have a goal in mind if you are going to breed, which makes sense. To me it seems similar to bonsaI because you have a goal for your tree, and it is an art form that not only develops over time it also develops you. This is something that I would really enjoy undertaking with such beautiful fish.

Now I come to my ethical dilemas. These are honest and sincere questions, I am not trying to stir any pots.

First is going to be about form. Long betta tails, though incredibly beautiful, do seem to hinder a betta's quality of life. Is this something that I am overthinking or is there a good solution to this problem?

The second question is about finding a home for all the fry. I know bettas can produce a lot of fry. Most of them would not be kept as part of a breeding program and would have to move on. One option I personally would consider is getting a pet that would find them tasty. I know many may think this cold hearted but I find it no different than an ugly feeder fish personally. I am also aware that I do not have the kind of network I would need to find new homes for all of them, and off loading them on to a pet store is not a good option in my opinion. I personally would not like to even sell them to a store that is willing to sell the tiny betta tanks. Are there any other options?

How do you guys deal with these questions? Are there any other moral questions to consider before deciding if I want to breed? I would love some insight and discussion. Please be considerate of other peoples view points and opinions. I know people can get up in arms about morales but that does not allow a good discussion.

Rtessy

Culling is a part of it, as bad as it sounds. Out of hundreds of fry, some will have deformities.
I agree that long tails hinder the quality of life, I haven't bred any of those and don't plan to. Try plakats or wilds instead. And you can unload the fry here and on aquabid

Demeter

I try for only plakat bettas, though I have gotten a good number of long finned types. I also have an axolotl to eat the freshly culled larger fish and a hoard of cichlids to eat the smaller ones.

Most my bettas went to a local pet store that seems pretty ok IMO. Oddly enough, said pet store has females in higher demand rather than the males. Some of the low quality adult males I couldn’t find homes for ended up as axolotl food. I see no point in keeping fish around I have no intention to breed nor make room for in a larger tank. Keeping them in jars and breeder basket till they become old/ill and die would be cruel.

Timmg08

Culling is a part of it, as bad as it sounds. Out of hundreds of fry, some will have deformities.
I agree that long tails hinder the quality of life, I haven't bred any of those and don't plan to. Try plakats or wilds instead. And you can unload the fry here and on aquabid

I was definitely considering plakat. Maybe even betta smaragdina.
Do you know of a good resource for information on shipping fish?

Timmg08

I try for only plakat bettas, though I have gotten a good number of long finned types. I also have an axolotl to eat the freshly culled larger fish and a hoard of cichlids to eat the smaller ones.

Most my bettas went to a local pet store that seems pretty ok IMO. Oddly enough, said pet store has females in higher demand rather than the males. Some of the low quality adult males I couldn’t find homes for ended up as axolotl food. I see no point in keeping fish around I have no intention to breed nor make room for in a larger tank. Keeping them in jars and breeder basket till they become old/ill and die would be cruel.

My wife wants an axie bad. Seems like I might be onboard with that idea. I think it makes sense that females are in demand. It seems like sororities are becoming very popular as more people actually learn about these fish.

Rtessy

I was definitely considering plakat. Maybe even betta smaragdina.
Do you know of a good resource for information on shipping fish?
I don't off the top of my head, sorry. Double or triple bag some poly bags, make sure there's just enough water to cover the fish every which way it tilts, and make sure it is secure, insulated, has a heat pack, and won't shift when flipped/slid/dropped around the conveyer belts

Guanchy

Hey Timmg08 Welcome.

Like my fellow Fishlorians already said I would go for Plakats. That's what I'm breeding right now but it also comes down to preference. They happen to be my favorite betta type. I currently have a connection with my LFS and they would buy from me whatever fry I won't be able to sell online so that is something you can try, go to all the LFS around you and talk to them.

Also you can try aquabid.com or even craigslist. Breeding bettas are a bit of work. You mention finding a fish that would find them tasty, why go through so much work to breed them to then just feed them to another fish? Lol if you aren't doing it for culling purposes I personally wouldnt.

Timmg08

Hey Timmg08 Welcome.

Like my fellow Fishlorians already said I would go for Plakats. That's what I'm breeding right now but it also comes down to preference. They happen to be my favorite betta type. I currently have a connection with my LFS and they would buy from me whatever fry I won't be able to sell online so that is something you can try, go to all the LFS around you and talk to them.

Also you can try aquabid.com or even craigslist. Breeding bettas are a bit of work. You mention finding a fish that would find them tasty, why go through so much work to breed them to then just feed them to another fish? Lol if you aren't doing it for culling purposes I personally wouldnt.

I think my lfs has a betta breeder all ready, and fish stores are fairly scarce around New Hampshire. Its is something I will look into if I decide to breed though. As for finding something that would eat them, I really appreciate the way ecosystems work and enjoy attempting to replicate them. Its a big part of why I enjoy aquariums. If I can find homes for my fish I certainly will, I just feel like feeding something else is also a viable option. Personally I would be breeding for the process, learning about the fish and the genetics and creating something beautiful and complex would be my goals. I think feeding fish I can not find a home for is something that would help me to be able to attain those goals.

I am a little sad that I may limit myself to plakats. Personally I think the long flowing fins are absolutely amazing. But I do think I will stick with plakats.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Niki Rose
Replies
Views
Lana1049
Replies
Views
smbeauty
Replies
Views