Breeding BN's anybody - Page 2

lolagurl

Yes, I once had a pleco so long it was getting to big, luckily I live in canada and we have big ale's fish emporium, they love big fish, and they would take mine, and sell it for a lot of money to big fish owners, that's why they sell plecos there, they want them to get bigger. But he got killed by my tank I forgot about him and a rock fell on him...anyways those BN plecos are very nice,,,are these the ones you were thinking of breeding

atmmachine816

No those look like leapord frog plecos, these are the type I'd like to breed

Butterfly

I think it will be fine, they are tough little fish. Give them time to settle in and they will eat you out of house and home
Carol

atmmachine816

Thanks, he/she has perked up

Well here are some pics of the updated tank and one of the old, must say the new tank looks much better, though will be a pain to clean

1. before
2. after
3. another after photo
4. new BN
5. Old BN (can you see him)
6 7 8. BN breeding cave, covered holes up with the pieces of slate, they also make nice caves on the outside for my ghosties
9. left side of tank
10. right side

11. side of tank

Hope that's enough to show you what the tank looks like. Does it look ok Butterfly for them to breed

Butterfly

Looks good to me It may take them a bit to get in the mood. Took mine several months to get old enough?settled enough to spawn but when they do.... Look out
Carol

lolagurl

What a pretty tank!!!!...

atmmachine816

Thanks

Butterfly I have a question, if I'v had my one BN for 10 months now, should it be full grown?

Butterfly

yeah should be mature.
Carol

atmmachine816

Well then I think I have a female as her bristles are not big at all.

Butterfly

Where are the bristles? If the female has any bristles at all they will be just around the lip.
My brown bristlenose male doesn't have big bristles at all but has fathered countless batches of fry.
Carol

atmmachine816

I'll have to go check and let you know later, she/he hasn't taken interest in the new fish yet but has met them.

Butterfly

Patience my friend patience
carol

atmmachine816

Yup I'm waiting. She/he has a few up the middle of her face and a few stubs on the side of the mouth, not many at all. Female?

Butterfly

If the bristles go up the middle of the face then it's a male, if just around the lip it's a female.
Carol

atmmachine816

O ok, well he doesn't have many bristles compared to some that I'v seen, fine with me.

Thanks

atmmachine816

One of the juvies I can start to see bristles growing up his nose, is it too early to tell or could I safely say this is a male? He's close to 2 months old when I got him about 2"-2.5"

Butterfly

At about 2 inches you can start to tell gender.
Carol

atmmachine816

Ok, well then one down, one more to go. Hopefully she/he will be female

thanks

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom