Breeding BN's anybody

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
From what I can figure out no petstores by me can get BN plecos anymore and they seem to be a popular fish. So as a way to help save common plecos also I'd like to try breeding BN plecos and selling them to lfs's as an alternative for them to sell instead of common plecos since they sell those and they shouldn't. If anybody has any expierence in this and would like to enlighten me I'd love to know all there is to know. I'v heard it's easy and they lay their eggs on the inside of a cave I think.

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I beleive that Butterfly has experience.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes I'm waiting for a reply

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It would be really nice, thoughtful, and responsible of you ATM, to offer BN catfish to your LFS, so that they don't have to sell common plecos that usually are way too large for most people's tanks. Yes, I also believe Carol has raised successfully some BNs

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yup i'v got some help from somebody else though my problem would be getting them to buy from private breeders.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes I have had several successful spawnings What I did was get six or seven BN and put them in a 30 gallon tank to grow up together a little. The reason for that many is to make sure you get a pair. They will spawn from about 7 mos to a year old.
Then when they are old enough I do a huge water change and feed them up on lots of veggies, Bloodworms,shrimp pellets etc. anything high in protein. In general BN's need a ratio of 90/10 veggies to protein, but at spawning time they appreciate a little more protein.
Carol

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Would I be able to keep the babies in the large tank or would a 5.5 galon tank be good for raising them?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
since dad guards the egs and mom goes on her merry way I usually move the cave , dad and eggs to another tank with a sponge filter. Dad will not eat until the fry are free swimming and out of the cave. when they are free swimming and out of the cave(Dad and cave go back to his tank) about two days then I start putting in sliced zucchini after about two more days they will discover the zucchini. from then on you need to do 50% water changes and change their food EACH day. I use a 10 gallon tank for about 2 weeks (so they don't have to hunt so far for food) then they go into a 30 gallon rubbermaid tub for grow-out at about 4-6 weeks they go to Dinos and into a much larger tank to grow some more
With any type of pleco the size of the bottom is really inportant rather than a tall tank. austin the 5.5 gallon would work for about a week then they would be very crowded.
Carol

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok my mom has already said ok, I just need to find a female. ;D

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do you have a male BN?
Carol

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ya

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Heres some not real good pics of my albino BN babies. They are about 1-1/2 inch to 2 inches

And my 1/2 inch long fin albino BN fry
Carol

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Very cute.
Tom

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How long do the albino BN's grow too?
Tom

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Generally 4-5 inches. I have seen males go 6 inches.
Carol

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well I called the store that usually has them and they don't have any right now so they say so I emailed the owner hoping he can tell me when they'l get some in so I can hopefully them some before my surgery and before there sale ends since they have 25% off everything, in-stock, livestock, and ON Sale items. I really like that on sale part since they usually have their fish on sale so you can get them really cheap and their good quality too.

Austin

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What is the name of the store?
Tom

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You wouldn't know the name, it's a small chain of three now two stores by me, sorry.

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks anyways.
Tom

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom