Breeding Bn Plecos

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello everyone!

Just looking for some opinions! Now that I have finished my masters degree I finally have some extra time on my hands and I would love to get into breeding a couple types of fish. I have decided I think I want to look into BN plecos. They'd be easy to find homes for if I can't sell them myself as a LFS near me always is in need of them!

My question is, could I use just a 10 gallon tank or would a 20 gallon long be more ideal? I am only considering the 10 gallon just because I am using another 10 gallon for a fry tank for another breeding project I want to start and it would be nice to use a double stand for them.

Also has anyone successfully had multiple pairs in one tank? If so how big was the tank?

Pictures of anyone's pleco breeding set ups would be loved!

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Giving this a bump up for you hope you get some responses today

Antonian

Reaction score
Recently started a breeding project for Bristlenose myself. I am using a 20 long for now and plan to switch to a 55 gallon or a 40 gallon breeder. I want to house 4 to start and then see how it goes if I cannot get them to breed I’ll go down to a pair. I also plan to over filter this tank and do heavy water changes. Not much experience myself just wanted to share what my plan is so far good luck to you!

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A 10 or 20 would not be nearly big enough to grow out BN plecos. You'll need something larger than that. Itll work for a few weeks or so. Upgrading to 40 gallons or more after the first month or so would be ideal.

OP
e_watson09

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
bizaliz3 said:
A 10 or 20 would not be nearly big enough to grow out BN plecos. You'll need something larger than that. Itll work for a few weeks or so. Upgrading to 40 gallons or more after the first month or so would be ideal.
This wouldn’t be their grow out. Just for the pair itself

Grow out will either be in a 55 gallon or a 100 gallon stock tank

Right now I have a few growing out in our 29 gallon but they’re moving to the 55 gallon once it’s cycled

I just wasn’t sure for just a pair but since I posted this and the breeders I spoke with have them breeding in tanks with other fish

New Threads