Breeding Bettas

Discussion in 'Betta Breeding' started by Garrett Michael, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Garrett Michael

Garrett MichaelNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    3 years
    Okay so here it goes,I'm quite experienced in the aquarium hobby and have two mature betta's constantly blowing bubble nests an would like to start breeding them and don't know where to start does anyone have any suggestions or tips that could help with what i think will be a long endeavor

Here is Lunar;

Here is Frank;

2. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +3,985
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Hi, I’ve moved this to the Betta breeding board for you.
    While you wait for some responses have a look at the stickied threads at the top of the board for some helpful tips.

3. e_watson09

e_watson09Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +331
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I would researching breeding as much as you can in the sticky threads. I have also found YouTube to be super helpful. There is a lot of risk in breeding so make sure you understand all of the risks.

Where did you get these guys? Can you try to contact the breeder to see if they have any good females you could pair with them? I have found that finding a good match for my boys is one of the hardest parts.

Once you have babies you'll need to make sure you have space to separate them when the time comes. 20-60 babies is pretty normal, can be more or less but make sure you have space to separate them properly.

4. OP
    OP
    Garrett Michael

Garrett MichaelNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    3 years
    LOL I know they don't look like it but they are Petsmart Betta's but I've been looking into other females from their as well as other chains

5. e_watson09

e_watson09Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +331
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Personally I wouldn't look for pet store bettas to breed. Most of the females there are not good quality and you really don't know what kind of genetics you're getting. If you want to get into breeding I'd look into getting a pair from a good breeder or possibly importing them. Pet store bettas can be wonderful pets but generally are not the best choice when it comes to breeding. That's not always the case but most often.

6. Mcasella

McasellaFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +4,299
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    You want to get a male and female pair around 4-6 months in age, most bettas in pet stores are closer to 6 months than four and are mutts genetically so will throw several funky things including some genetic defects or poor quality bettas. While pet store can get nice fish they are still not worth breeding as it will be harder to find homes for them.
    See what interest there is around you for bettas before you take the jump into spawning, raising, and suddenly getting stuck with 25 plus bettas that can't go together.
    You will have to get live small foods for the fry, they don't go after powdered food when they are starting out.

Pet stores will not have matching females or on par females, their genetics won't match up.