Breeding Bettas

Lollipop0912
So Fishlorians, MTS has kicked in and I now just happen to have a 10 gallon tank just laying around...
I'm considering using it to breed bettas. Can you guys make sure this plan is sound? Ps. Any suggestions I get will be edited into the original post.
Tank Setup:
10 gallon tank, bare bottom, heater, super low flow HOB filter, divider, hood (so I don't have fish on the floor)and loads of plants anchored to rocks and floating plants
Finding a breeding pair:
I need some advice here. I've looked on aqua bid and craigslist, and loads of other sites. I haven't yet found "the ones" any pairs that you guys see? Any males? please post them. I really am not breeding for profit and don't want to spend over 50 dollars for both bettas, preferably a lot less. But this "budget" can be worked around if the perfect pair comes anyone have pics of ones they want to sell?
Conditioning the breeding pair:
I'm planning n feeding pellets, flake food, baby brine shrimp, and frozen bloodworms for a week.
Then I'll make the divider non transparent.
Breeding:
I'll slowly lower the water level so there's only about 6 inches in the tank. I'll mist the tank every day to keep it nice and humid.
Once the female shows her vertical stripes, and the male builds his bubble nest. Then I'll watch the tank to make sure that there is not too much aggression. If there is, this plan goes adios!
Once the embraces are done, I'll remove the female. Once the fry are free swimming, Ill remove the male.
Raising Fry:
I'll feed either Vinegar Eels or Microworms for the first few days any preferences?
After that, I'll start mixing in BBS.
Then, I'll graduate to crushed flakes.
Are there any of your favorite betta fry foods I'm missing?
Selling Fry:
I'll most likely give most of them away to friends. From what I understand, you need a business license to sell bettas online. Am I correct?

Aqua 59
There is a red half moon betta pair for 45 dollars on Ebay. Good luck!

Lollipop0912
Aqua 59
Do you know of any other sites to look on?
Whats your favorite betta food?
RainBetta
They only have a crown tail ATM. Any other sites?
Whats your favorite betta food?
Rtessy
Could you list a few?

RainBetta
LiveAquaria usually has breeding pairs. Yes, you do need a license to sell animals online. Your setup is great! Have fun!

Rtessy
Aquabid often has pairs, many need to be shipped from Thailand but there are also a decent number of domestic shippers
Edit: sorry, I see you checked out aquabid. I remember there was this really nice green samuraI pair for $25 +$18 shipping, still pricey but they was from the US.
I'm not sure if white worms or vinegar eels would be better, but I have heard that white worms are easier to keep and harvest

Lollipop0912
Rtessy Ok. Do you see any other websites to get bettas on? I'm hesitant to go to petco and pick some out because of mixing genes ect.

Aqua 59
Price Butlers has plakat pairs for 25 dollars.

Lollipop0912
Maybe I should clarify, I'm looking for HM or OHM. I love the light females that have the rI'm around their tails. Do you know of any websites?
I’m curious, any critiques about this betta?

Attachments

• 23908A23-5FAD-44BA-A212-EF735ED2BBC5.jpeg
    23908A23-5FAD-44BA-A212-EF735ED2BBC5.jpeg
    75.2 KB · Views: 74
Rtessy
I know there's a breeder in New Jersey, I think the Facebook was like NJ bettas or something, I don't really remember, sorry. And I don't know if she sells pairs, but there is documented genetic history so that's something.

Lollipop0912
Rtessy
Can you tell if this betta in the picture is show quality? I’m very curious.

Bryangar
You don't need a license to sell as a hobbyist to another hobbyist. If you're planning on selling a few thousand bettas then maybe but for a spawn, you don't need one.

Lollipop0912
Really? Everything I’m reading for where I live says to sell “to the consumer” you need a business liscence. Do you think the betta above is show grade?

Bryangar
Really? Everything I’m reading for where I live says to sell “to the consumer” you need a business liscence. Do you think the betta above is show grade?
No, unless you plan on selling to retail stores, you don't need one. You can sell them on aquabid or ebay without one.

I don’t know about grading bettas, so I can't help. Personally I would only breed koi bettas.

Blaze
Aquascape online fish store should have what you're looking for

Rtessy
Rtessy
Can you tell if this betta in the picture is show quality? I’m very curious.
Sorry, I don't know how to determine show quality...
As for the license, it depends on where you're located. For example, in Georgia, if you're not selling more than 30 of a bred animal at a time a liscense is not required.

Colt Frost
Have you checked glee bettas or space city fish on instagram? They usually have some really good looking pairs. They're also located in the US.

CanadianFishFan
Whats the plan if there are 100 bettas? Do you have a jarring system ready for each one?

Lollipop0912
CanadianFishFan ,
If there are 100 fry, the first thing I’m doing is giving myself a major pat on the back. As for fry jarring, I have about 25 vases and jars that are over 1/2 gallons. For non aggressive females. I also have 3 ten gallon bins that will house bettas. If I need more jars I’ll run to Michaels. Then, I’ll sell online and to my local fish store.

CanadianFishFan
CanadianFishFan ,
If there are 100 fry, the first thing I’m doing is giving myself a major pat on the back. As for fry jarring, I have about 25 vases and jars that are over 1/2 gallons. For non aggressive females. I also have 3 ten gallon bins that will house bettas. If I need more jars I’ll run to Michaels. Then, I’ll sell online and to my local fish store.
Ok awesome! Some people don't realize how many they can have and then that they get aggressive even as fry/baby's.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
fabienne
Replies
Views
_Fried_Bettas_
Replies
Views
penguin02
Replies
Views