Breeding Bettas & what do do with the fry

PearlGourami28

Hi there!
I am considering breeding my pair of bettas. They are both koi halfmoon plakats and simply stunning. I've done a lot of reading and have a very good understanding of how to make the actual spawn happen and how to keep the fish safe during that. However, I was looking for information about the general timeline of what to do with the fry afterwards. At what age do you seperate the males from the females/when do they begin showing aggression? Thank you!

Seamus111

I haven't bred them since I was a kid. The newer breeds are more difficult to breed. Using bubble wrap seems to help. Let it float on top, just a small piece about 6 inches in size. After spawning, I removed the female. The males take care of the eggs 10 days if I remember right. I kept the fry together till they were nearly one and three quarter size. Some males look like females for quite awhile. You can breed them in plastic bins then transfer them to tanks later. I would say around two months old. They start to color a lot then. Be VERY careful of water changes when they are small. I would do a drip back into the tank for fry of any age. Aggression, I'm not sure about. I never saw much since they were not adult size when I separated them.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Yixrjvr58
  • Question
Replies
Views
Saju
  • Question
Replies
Views