Breeding Betta smaragdina

Joshaeus

HI everyone! I got a pair of blue betta smaragdina in the mail yesterday...I love them already they are not shy at all (the female has already started begging for food) and while the male is not as gaudy as a domesticated betta he is still a very stately, elegant fish. I will eventually be giving them to my grandmother along with their 5 gallon planted tank, but before I do that I want to spawn them and try to raise about a dozen of the fry that result.

My plan was to separate the pair, feed heavily with live food in addition to dry food for a week, and then put them back together in a spawning tank. I would keep the male in the spawning tank until the fry are free swimming; I may keep him in a little longer depending on how he treats the fry. I was going to start the fry on infusoria, start introducing microworms and BBS after a few days, and stop infusoria after the first week if they have started taking the other foods. Now here are my questions;

1 - Should I introduce the female to the male, or vice versa? Does it matter?
2 - Anything special I should know about raising the fry?
3 - When can I introduce the fry to water changes?
4 - Anything else I should know?

Thanks

jkkgron2

Crispii

Crispii

1. People usually house both the male and female in jars/small container to introduce both sex. After the male realize there's a female, then you can add them into their breeding tanks.

2. Feed them BBS, daphnia, or cyclops.

3. Just do water changes gradually. I don't recommend using siphons as you might accidentally suck up the fry. Instead use a cup and scoop out water.

4. If you're using an HOB, cover it with an intake sponge.

Joshaeus

Thanks! My filters are all air powered, so that should not be an issue.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Joshaeus
  • Question
Replies
Views
A201
Replies
Views
Bagets