Breeding Betta Fish Basics?

Whitelightning

For those of you who know me, you know I would NEVER be able to do this. But I'm just curious, not actually going to do it. How do you breed betta fish? What do you need to do? How do you care for the fry? Thanks!

betta06

(sorry it is so long hope it helps though!)

well first you need a breeder quality betta pair. after that you condition them it is pretty much feeding them lots of live or frozen foods I still like to include a few pellets though. l like to do this for 2 weeks.(after they are fully conditioned it is likely the female will be full of eggs) then you need i tank i find 5 gallons best I take a 1/2 gallon jar turn of the filter (as not to disturb the bubble nest) and put in the male the female should be floating in the jar so he can see her but not hurt her he should flare and build a bubble nest then wait 24 hours. release the female he will chase and nip at her a lot in the beginning after about a day though he will let her under the bubble nest and they will embrace to fertilize the eggs she will float on the surface looking like she is dead to give him time to pick up the eggs and bring them up to the bubble nest. but in the process both fish will usually get badly injured I have a male who los his entire analfin!
sorry i had to leave out a lot of information as it would get way to long but that is kinda a little bit about the process of breeding them

as for caring for the fry for the first day or two they will just cling onto the bubble nest the (dad will bring them up if they fall) then they enter the free swimming stage the will now be able to swim by themselves and you can take the dad out (he will eat them otherwise) at this stage i feed infosora (i probable spelt that wrong) then at a week old turn on the sponge filter and start feeding baby brine shrimp as they get older they will start being able to eat frozen and more live food varieties. at 4 months old (at least mine) started getting there colour in i also fed a little bit of fluval bug bites. at 5 months old they are usually ready to sell so i like to feed pellets flakes frozen live gel cause who knows what they will eat in there new home!

well that is kinda the overview of betta breeding but you would want to do a ton more research in order to actually do it.
here are some pictures of the fish...
IMG_2819.jpg 2 week old baby fry
IMG_3307.jpghe around 4 months here and is my sisters fish vice principle Nero (I wouldn't recommend tank that small i like one gallons tanks for the fry)
IMG_4556.jpghere is nero at 6 months (his form isn't the best he has some bad fin curling that is why we kept him)
IMG_4548.jpghere is my favourite boy sadly i sold him though... I dont really like his nose for future breeding but his tail and clour look amazing!

IMG_2493.jpgeggs in nest
IMG_2526.jpgbaby fry one day old (they are the small white and black dots on the edges of tank)
IMG_2602.jpg1 week old free swimming fry

Upvote 0

Whitelightning

(sorry it is so long hope it helps though!)

well first you need a breeder quality betta pair. after that you condition them it is pretty much feeding them lots of live or frozen foods I still like to include a few pellets though. l like to do this for 2 weeks.(after they are fully conditioned it is likely the female will be full of eggs) then you need i tank i find 5 gallons best I take a 1/2 gallon jar turn of the filter (as not to disturb the bubble nest) and put in the male the female should be floating in the jar so he can see her but not hurt her he should flare and build a bubble nest then wait 24 hours. release the female he will chase and nip at her a lot in the beginning after about a day though he will let her under the bubble nest and they will embrace to fertilize the eggs she will float on the surface looking like she is dead to give him time to pick up the eggs and bring them up to the bubble nest. but in the process both fish will usually get badly injured I have a male who los his entire analfin!
sorry i had to leave out a lot of information as it would get way to long but that is kinda a little bit about the process of breeding them

as for caring for the fry for the first day or two they will just cling onto the bubble nest the (dad will bring them up if they fall) then they enter the free swimming stage the will now be able to swim by themselves and you can take the dad out (he will eat them otherwise) at this stage i feed infosora (i probable spelt that wrong) then at a week old turn on the sponge filter and start feeding baby brine shrimp as they get older they will start being able to eat frozen and more live food varieties. at 4 months old (at least mine) started getting there colour in i also fed a little bit of fluval bug bites. at 5 months old they are usually ready to sell so i like to feed pellets flakes frozen live gel cause who knows what they will eat in there new home!

well that is kinda the overview of betta breeding but you would want to do a ton more research in order to actually do it.
here are some pictures of the fish...
IMG_2819.jpg 2 week old baby fry
IMG_3307.jpghe around 4 months here and is my sisters fish vice principle Nero (I wouldn't recommend tank that small i like one gallons tanks for the fry)
IMG_4556.jpghere is nero at 6 months (his form isn't the best he has some bad fin curling that is why we kept him)
IMG_4548.jpghere is my favourite boy sadly i sold him though... I dont really like his nose for future breeding but his tail and clour look amazing!

IMG_2493.jpgeggs in nest
IMG_2526.jpgbaby fry one day old (they are the small white and black dots on the edges of tank)
IMG_2602.jpg1 week old free swimming fry
Wow, thanks for the extensive amount of information, I greatly appreciate it! Those pictures are sooo cool!

Upvote 0

jnocella

For the first time ever, I decided to try breeding the two bettas in the picture. Surprisingly, it was a success and now I have about 300 fry. That male worked his butt off to keep every single egg intact. For three days straight, he was relentlessly baby sitting the eggs & scanning the bottom for fallen eggs. It was really something to watch. Such parental instinct and dedication. I bought a microworm culture & baby brine shrimp eggs on-line. It's really not that difficult to get the culture going and hatch the artemia baby brine shrimp. Get a few 2 liter bottles, salt, baking soda for the shrimp. Mashed potatoes and yeast for the microworms. But I'm pleased to say that after only 3.5 weeks, they are starting to eat crushed up Fluval Bug Bites & Hikari First Bites. So if you keep them healthy and feed them well, you may be able to make your life a little easier by getting them onto dry foods sooner than later. Also, I run a small canister filter on a 20g long along with a large sponge filter. Keep the water clean with partial water changes every couple of days. So far, so good!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 12.41.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-10 at 12.41.13 PM.png
    775.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 63701799205__9DF4D990-830C-4A60-A7B5-8565CB3B298C.jpeg
    63701799205__9DF4D990-830C-4A60-A7B5-8565CB3B298C.jpeg
    232.3 KB · Views: 28
Upvote 0

betta06

For the first time ever, I decided to try breeding the two bettas in the picture. Surprisingly, it was a success and now I have about 300 fry. That male worked his butt off to keep every single egg intact. For three days straight, he was relentlessly baby sitting the eggs & scanning the bottom for fallen eggs. It was really something to watch. Such parental instinct and dedication. I bought a microworm culture & baby brine shrimp eggs on-line. It's really not that difficult to get the culture going and hatch the artemia baby brine shrimp. Get a few 2 liter bottles, salt, baking soda for the shrimp. Mashed potatoes and yeast for the microworms. But I'm pleased to say that after only 3.5 weeks, they are starting to eat crushed up Fluval Bug Bites & Hikari First Bites. So if you keep them healthy and feed them well, you may be able to make your life a little easier by getting them onto dry foods sooner than later. Also, I run a small canister filter on a 20g long along with a large sponge filter. Keep the water clean with partial water changes every couple of days. So far, so good!
wow that is a lot of fry!

Upvote 0

jnocella

wow that is a lot of fry!
The parents are ready to go again! I keep them in a 10g with a divider with very tiny holes so they can sometimes see eachother. The female is full of eggs and the male is frequently flaring and building bubble nests every other day. I'd like to give them another session together, but I'm really not in the fish breeding business. I do this as a hobby and to make a few bucks for supplies as I've bred corys in the past.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Yeoy
  • Question
Replies
Views
Seamus111
  • Question
Replies