Breeding Behavior Or Something Else

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Minniefish, Apr 13, 2017.

1. M

Minniefish Valued Member Member

Our tank leaked a week ago. I am housing 3 Mickey Mouse platty & 4 danio glo fish in a 10 gallon tank. We won't be replacing the larger tank & I thought I found a home for the glow fish. :/

The mickeys are two female and a male. One particular female, the male keeps chasing. I noticed a few days ago her tail fin is looking rough. But doesn't look like a tail rot, but a nipping issue. I vaguely remember the "parents" of these three chasing after each other like that & eventually starting the baby process. Any ideas?
    Photo is attached. Can see it better on the glass bottom reflection. Don't mind the no gravel. I haven't had a chance to add any since the spill happened. IMG_6591.JPG c

2. Protim Sarkar

Protim Sarkar Well Known Member Member

Yes, it is the breeding process. The Mickey Mouse Platy is pregnant. Actually they breed like rabbits once in 28 days.

3. OP
    OP
    M

Doubtful, unless she's been holding dry/eggs for a year. This was one of our fry babies born 2/14/2016. That's her normal belly size.

4. OP
    OP
    M

But, yay more babies! Just when I'm trying to phase out fish!
    So what the heck...no breeding behavior in the 30 gal tank. Move them to a 10 because the 30 leaked & they are doing the breeding dance within days!

5. OP
    OP
    M

Should I be concerned that her tail looks worse off today? He isn't chasing her *as* much. Oddly enough he is ignoring the other female. This female is hiding.
    Any precautions or anything to ensure her tail doesn't get infected or anything?

6. Protim Sarkar

Protim Sarkar Well Known Member Member

Is he nipping her ? If yes, then you should move her in a small quarantine tank. It will reduce the stress.

7. OP
    OP
    M

Not often that I see....can't set up quarantine. Don't have another tank set up.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice