Breeding attempt #1 - Blue gourami

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
OK, so I have my two blue gouramis in my spare 3ft tank that has been set up for breeding.

They have some java moss, great bit of driftwood, wisteria and a really fine gravel that is almost sand.
I have set it up with a HOB and sponge over the intake.

The male has been conditioned since last Sunday, in the breeding tank, being fed frozen bloodworms. I introduced the female yesterday (also fed for a week on bloodworms). A bit of sparing, and lots of the male chasing the female.

No bubble nest yet.

I also have raised the temp a few degrees today, and dropped the water level (apparently that stimulates breeding in gouramis).

Does anyone else have anything to add that I could be doing to 'get them in the mood'? My male is rather slack at the moment. BEAUTIFUL breeding colours, but no nest. Female is nice and plump with eggs, too.

Appreciate any tips, hints and/or advice - this is my first time breeding ANYTHING! x

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They like leaves or other floating stuff on the surface to put their nest into. Maybe some floating plants in a corner?
I would now raise the water levels back up.

What happens in the natural habitat is that the water levels drop, the temp raises then it rains torrentially for a few days raising the water levels, washing in all kind of yummy food and leaves on the water. so the combination of raised temps, fresh water, plentiful food and leaf cover should do it. Hope that helps.
carol

OP
bubblynutter

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
thanks for the tips Carol!

I added a few plants and upped the water level.
I also added my bubble-blowing honeys to the tank last night, and one of them already claimed the half-of-a-plastic cup I'd put in there for the blue's nest!

Since adding the foliage and water the two blues are very amorous... The female is allowing him to roll her in circles instead of running away! Hopefully he gets busy with his nest tonight...

Who knows, maybe my honeys AND blues will breed at the same time! Lots of gourami fry! :whistling:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 62 65.3%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 13 13.7%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 18.9%

Top Bottom