Breeding Apistogramma Trifasciatas

1. ZeeZ

ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

I've been thinking about breeding these guys for a while now. I've only seen one or two other forum members with these fish here. From what I can tell, this is a relatively uncommon fish for aquaria, though I have no idea why. These guys are great and quite personable.

I have an empty 10 gallon and an empty 15 gallon tank. Currently the Apistos are in my 40g community tank. I was thinking about setting up one of the two tanks as a breeding tank for them. I'm not sure which one I should use, the 15 or the 10. I've read reports of them doing fine in both. My plan would be to set up this tank to mimic their natural habitat, with sticks, leaf litter, and driftwood to release tannins since they like soft water. Terra cotta pots, which I have plenty of, could be used as caves. A sponge filter would be the only choice, of course, if I were to have fry.

Once the eggs hatched and the fry were free swimming, I would remove the male and put him back into the 40 gallon community tank. Then once the fry were moving away from the mother, I would put the female back into the community tank too and allow the fry to develop on their own. I think they have been courting each other except the community fish have been eating the eggs and preventing anything from happening.

My only concern is if there's a market for them or not. What do you guys think? Should I go for it? Shrimp, I have zero problems breeding, but fish is a new territory for me but it shouldn't be that difficult.

2. QQQUUUUAADDD

QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

Apistogrammas trifasciatas are kribs, right?

3. OP
    OP
    ZeeZ

ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

Nope, kribs are Pelvicachromis pulcher, a entirely different species. Apisto. Tris are also known as Threestripe Apisto.

4. J

JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

I well buy from you if you I think they are beautiful fish.