Breeding angels

Thepaninja

Member
I have a paired set of koi veiltail. Angels. The female is working her little heart out laying eggs. The first time the male just ignored the eggs. This time as she is laying he follows and eats the eggs. No attempt at fertilizing them. Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.
 

LowConductivity

Member
Practice makes perfect. Be patient
 
  • Thread Starter

Thepaninja

Member

Dunk2

Member
Thepaninja said:
Can alkaline or acid water kill the angelfish eggs
As LowConductivity said, it often takes some practice for paired fish to get it right.

I have very acidic water and my Angelfish spawns have made it to wiggler stage.
 
  • Thread Starter

Thepaninja

Member
Dunk2 said:
As LowConductivity said, it often takes some practice for paired fish to get it right.

I have very acidic water and my Angelfish spawns have made it to wiggler stage.
The male looks like he is fertilizing , even fans the eggs for awhile. Until he starts to eat them
By 48 hours they all turn white. Thank you for your help
 

Nikn

Member
Angels usually fail at spawning the first few times. They might be too young or not really know what they are doing. Let them try a few more times. They will get better at it. Are you planning to raise the fry yourself or let the parents raise them? If you are gonna let the parents have a go, be aware that they might eat them all the first few times and that not all will survive. Nevertheless it's a fun experience and you should not give up. Do you have more than one angel pair?
 

coralbandit

Member
Unless you have seen one wiggler from this pair you really don't know you have a male and female ..
Th behavior could be young parents learning or 2 females ..
Just saying .
 

Nikn

Member
coralbandit said:
Unless you have seen one wiggler from this pair you really don't know you have a male and female ..
Th behavior could be young parents learning or 2 females ..
Just saying .
I don't think they would be laying eggs if there are two females. Angels pair for life they know when and with who they pair up. Its hard to tell the gender of angles, so I guess you will just have to wait and see. If there are any wigglers in the future it means you have a pair.

Also the male could be infertile. Thats another possibility but an unlikely one. Just give them time and feed them well. And do water changes.
 

KribensisLover1

Member
I was so excited when my Kribs first bred and watched them like a hawk crossing my fingers. I know you are so excited for it to happen but it def will in time! Enjoy!
 
  • Thread Starter

Thepaninja

Member
They have layed eggs 9 times now. The male looks as if he's fertilizing them. He even takes a time at fanning them. I have had a few wigglers. One (just one) turned into a swimmer. Dissapeared a day later. Very fiscourging. I have been using hydrogen peroxide. The parents eat the eggs overnight. Not the white ones but the few that doo not turn white. Thanks to everone trying to help. I have another set veil tail koi angels. The female lays eggs but the male totally ignores them. Both are beautiful specimens.
 

coralbandit

Member
Try leaving lights on 24/7 after the eggs have been laid .
 
  • Thread Starter

Thepaninja

Member
coralbandit said:
Try leaving lights on 24/7 after the eggs have been laid .
I do leave the lights on when i have eggs. Thanks for your help
 

bizaliz3

Member
Nikn said:
I don't think they would be laying eggs if there are two females. Angels pair for life they know when and with who they pair up. Its hard to tell the gender of angles, so I guess you will just have to wait and see. If there are any wigglers in the future it means you have a pair.

Also the male could be infertile. Thats another possibility but an unlikely one. Just give them time and feed them well. And do water changes.
It's actually not uncommon for two females to spawn together when there is no male present. Sometimes even when there is! But in this case the OP has had wigglers from them, so its a moot point. But needed to be clarified.

It's also a myth that they pair for life. It's a common misconception. But a very untrue one. They do not pair for life. And in "captivity" their break-ups can be quite ugly because they can't go their separate ways like they can in the wild. Lol

Not to mention that I frequently swap my males and females around and they have no issues swapping partners. There's also been many documented cases of threesomes. Like two males fertilizing one set of eggs. Or one females having her eggs fertilized by multiple males.

Thepaninja said:
They have layed eggs 9 times now. The male looks as if he's fertilizing them. He even takes a time at fanning them. I have had a few wigglers. One (just one) turned into a swimmer. Dissapeared a day later. Very fiscourging. I have been using hydrogen peroxide. The parents eat the eggs overnight. Not the white ones but the few that doo not turn white. Thanks to everone trying to help. I have another set veil tail koi angels. The female lays eggs but the male totally ignores them. Both are beautiful specimens.
If you've had wigglers, then I guess it just boils down to that male needing practice. But I can relate to your discouragement after this many fails. He should have figured out how to aim by now! Lol
Do they lay in the same spot every time? Is there possibly a lot of flow in the area?
 

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom