Breeding age???

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by mistycheri, Apr 30, 2006.

1. mistycheri

mistycheriValued MemberMember

I have a baby platy that is about ------------- this big. Tonight I noticed her tummy is all bloated like she's pregnant. Please tell me that's not possible this soon. My baby can't be having babies!! ??? ???

2. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Live bearers can breed at about 4-6 weeks. Yep your baby can be having babies if there is a member of the opposite sex available ;)
    Carol

3. OP
    OP
    mistycheri

Well.... I checked her this morning and she wasn't bloated anymore. But when I feed them this morning I noticed her little tummy swelling up again. So maybe she's just a little piggy fish. :)

4. OP
    OP
    mistycheri

Does this baby platy look pregnant to you?

5. 0morrokh

0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Well, she certainly looks way too fat. But I couldn't see a gravid spot, and somehow she looked more bloated than preggy. Could she have somehow gotten WAY too much food, or possibly internal parasites that are causing bloating? Since she wasn't bloated I'd bet she overate to the extreme of that word. My Platys have done that a few times (kinda long story I don't feel like explaining at the moment) and that's pretty much what they looked like, just maybe not THAT bad.

6. OP
    OP
    mistycheri

I thought only guppies had the gravid spot. ???

7. 0morrokh

0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

No I was sure all livebearers got one...though now that you say that maybe I'm not sure...let's wait and see what others say.

8. Jason

JasonWell Known MemberMember

Usually you can see a gravid spot on most livebearers, but sometimes their colour masks it. If its a baby platy I would think that she eats too much, as two of my baby swordies are female and are really fat and they're the only ones old enough to breed, the other babies in the tank are too young yet.

9. OP
    OP
    mistycheri

That's what I thought, she's a little piggy. :)