Breeder Opinion on Betta Form

BETTASCAPESUK

Hi all,

I'd like some input on the following male betta from my recent spawn that I decided I'd like to keep for future line breeding. A lot of the males from this spawn have somewhat irregular finnage.

I chose this male because I like his top form and the compact fins and the extension of his caudal fin compared to his siblings. The third pic is of a male I consider a great pet but not what I look for in breeding.

What do you look for when deciding on a male? Is it colour then form or the other way around? I'd love to have other people's input

Attachments

• SNOW_20220414_074404_536.jpg
    SNOW_20220414_074404_536.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 33
  • SNOW_20220414_074537_857.jpg
    SNOW_20220414_074537_857.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 34
  • SNOW_20220413_111238_415.jpg
    SNOW_20220413_111238_415.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 33

MagicChipmunk

I like to look at the bettas color first then their fins and health then if everything looks good I buy the betta

e_watson09

I look for a few things. For me its the whole package. I don't really want a whimpy looking male (body type) even if his colors are fabulous. Color is a big factor but when you're picking from a spawn that you bred my first look would be which body types look the best. Put the acceptable body types to one side and pick from there. Hopefully getting a good color/pattern I like. If I don't see a color pattern I like I may look back into the spawn of the ones that didn't have perfect body types and really decide is it worth sacrificing a little on the form for color alone. In a spawn many of them carry the same genetics so even if they visibly aren't perfect color they may still produce what you're looking for.

BETTASCAPESUK

I look for a few things. For me its the whole package. I don't really want a whimpy looking male (body type) even if his colors are fabulous. Color is a big factor but when you're picking from a spawn that you bred my first look would be which body types look the best. Put the acceptable body types to one side and pick from there. Hopefully getting a good color/pattern I like. If I don't see a color pattern I like I may look back into the spawn of the ones that didn't have perfect body types and really decide is it worth sacrificing a little on the form for color alone. In a spawn many of them carry the same genetics so even if they visibly aren't perfect color they may still produce what you're looking for.
Absolutely agree. I put aside 4 males in total that I felt had both form and colour but ultimately went with this guy as I like the regularity of his analfin. I think its called a symmetrical HMPK and I like the look of the caudal and analfin matching up in length paired with a strong body and top line. Colourwise I am very happy with him. He is the most colourful out of the entire spawn.

Rose of Sharon

He is a beauty for sure!!!

I think color catches the attention first, and then form. For a pet (and my opinion for what it's worth), I look at personality first, then color, then form.

SparkyJones

stunning fish to be sure, personally I like them longer finned, but what yours lacks in fins, much makes up for n coloration.

honestly it would be the taste of the buyers, some are looking for color, some are looking for solids and long draping finnage.

bettasXD

Longer finned are halfmoons, deltas or veiltails. This is a plakat so it has short fins.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Demeter
Replies
Views
Demeter
Replies
Views
KaderTheAnt
Replies
Views