Breeder box

JCote978

How low til convict fry reach like half an inch in a half gallon hang-on breeder box?? We have a cycled 3.5G bow front cheapO acrylic tank if it would make a difference in growth, they’re about 3 weeks old I wanna say Born/found 5/26 tiny growing daily off the frozen baby brine I’m seeing fins on a couple swimmers just barely though this is tonight so I imagine there will plenty of growth overnight still I just don’t want it to peak there’s like 23-27 convict fry in this .5G HOB breeder box should I grow a few out in this 3.5gallon!? Any thoughts are appreciated

Flyfisha

I have not breed convict cichlids but.
I have spread fry around multiple tanks to help split the hormone load and would assume it would be a good idea with any cichlids?
The hormone factor is a true and real concern with stopping fast growth. You will still need to do multiple water changes each week in my opinion from my experience with other species.
I know the hang on breeding box is in a big tank but I have seen for myself the difference growth hormones can make.

You ask for thoughs.
Never put all your eggs in one basket.

Upvote 0

JCote978

I have not breed convict cichlids but.
I have spread fry around multiple tanks to help split the hormone load and would assume it would be a good idea with any cichlids?
The hormone factor is a true and real concern with stopping fast growth. You will still need to do multiple water changes each week in my opinion from my experience with other species.
I know the hang on breeding box is in a big tank but I have seen for myself the difference growth hormones can make.

You ask for thoughs.
Never put all your eggs in one basket.
Thank u now growth hormones could u please elaborate??

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

This will be hard to believe. I would understand anyone being sceptical until they try a pair of tanks for themselves . One with weekly and one with water changes every 3 days.
Growth hormones are released by fry that stop other fry growing.
I know it seems strange that nature would do such a thing but there must be a reason?
Having tried it myself I know that multiple feedings in each day are not enough to get fast growth.

Upvote 0

JCote978

This will be hard to believe. I would understand anyone being sceptical until they try a pair of tanks for themselves . One with weekly and one with water changes every 3 days.
Growth hormones are released by fry that stop other fry growing.
I know it seems strange that nature would do such a thing but there must be a reason?
Having tried it myself I know that multiple feedings in each day are not enough to get fast growth.
Thank u very much!!!

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

A late reply.
I was watching this video tonight.
This gentleman mentioned the need for water changes to keep growth hormones low .

Upvote 0

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom