Breed Proj Journal: Feb 04

KOIiiii

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hello All, I just wanted to keep a journal since this is my first spawn It's a bit late but my phone is cramming with photos!
This breeding project is an experiment to see what the outcome is between my Dark Melano/Red HMPK x Cambodian HM Female.
Of course, I have food, frys, and space and future plans for the frys. Lets get started

Feb 04 - I decided to use a method that I've seen from YouTube. Where you just gently let the male and female in together. (They've been conditioned for 4 weeks prior.) Male was put into breeding container in the morning around 8 AM. Around twelve hours later (8PM) female was gently put inside breeding container and I shut off the light.
NOTE: I did let them see each other like maybe 4 times out of the 4 weeks conditioning.
I did feel uncomfortable letting them in like this, but i hoped for the best.

Feb 05 -Next morning, Woke up late for school, didn't get to check much, but just turned on light. no real dmg at all! Female follows male, but he'll be aggro at times just trying. Not very much. But he built his nest overnight it seems. (Under a styrofoam cup)

Feb 06- Fast forward 8 hours into afternoon (4PM) (Since I had school ;- there seems to be eggs I was excited! Female was hiding underneath bunch of hornworts. Safely removed. Quite sad i didn't get witness the embrace.

KOIiiii

Valued Member
Reaction score
IMG_0685.PNG
Feb 07 - Eggs just keep falling! Father is keeping it up. The nest seems to be cut down in half :| Was a bit worried there.
Around 9 PM, they hatched. You could see mini tails hanging from underneath the eggs. I was taken by surprise because they hatch so soon!
Which means i predicted their spawn wrong and could have taken overnight when I introduced them.

Feb 08/09 - Father looking after the eggs very well So far no eating eggs. First time father is doing excellent !

Attachments

KOIiiii

Valued Member
Reaction score
Feb 9 Afternoon - Some are free swimming now! Thats always good thing My iPhone 6 is pretty whack so I couldn't really capture those mini fry T_T.
Feb 10 (1 AM) - Seems like all are free swimming. I removed the male.
At this point, I predicted maybe there were about 20-30 But i'm fine with that =)
Sorry for the blurriness- phone can't focus that well

Attachments

KOIiiii

Valued Member
Reaction score
Feb 11 - For the first couple days I only had BBS. I think they were too big for the frys so instead I really hope with the plants inside the tank will provide enough infurosia for the gang.
I have MW and Vinegar Eels but just a slight problem--- MW didn't produce enough yet to harvest, and Vinegar Eels were still in shipping due to weather we've had in Wisconsin :/ (Still a very chilly and snowy weather climate still)
Heres a little fella
It seems there might be more than 20 !

Feb 12 - First feeding BBS. Most are able to pick and eat it. Thank god lol.

Attachments

KOIiiii

Valued Member
Reaction score
Feb 16 (1st Week Since Free Swimming) - I can see most of them now. Daily feeding 3x per day. BBS/ MW

NOTE : Sorry about pictures. Since videos aren't allowed and I'm lazy to turn them into YouTube URLs, i'll be screenshotting pictures from the videos as best as could.

Attachments

KOIiiii

Valued Member
Reaction score
Feb 25 ( 2 Week Old) - Transferred the whole batch into a bigger tank with higher level of water, 20g.
While moving, I'm suspecting maybe more than 50. Woahhh
NOTE : I forgot to mention that when the frys hatched, so did some snails from the hornworts.

Attachments

KOIiiii

Valued Member
Reaction score
Mar 3 (About 3.2 weeks old) - Removed plants and the container(It held the baby snails and such) you see in the picture. Anal and Dorsal fins are developed with small hint of red.

Picture of the whole tank - Taken Feb 27. Feel free to count , =) I think it might be around 70+

Attachments

KOIiiii

Valued Member
Reaction score
Mar 10 (4 Week Old) - Well well, looks like we got a variety of sizes. I might start separating the smaller ones from the big ones. or should I wait a little longer?

Attachments

Guanchy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
great man! Good luck with the fry, would be great to see photos of the parents too

KOIiiii

Valued Member
Reaction score
great man! Good luck with the fry, would be great to see photos of the parents too
Sorry for blurriness. The Male and Female are both from LFS. I don't know why it looks like that :/
Taken just now. He is put in the cup temporary for the photo )

Attachments

KOIiiii

Valued Member
Reaction score
The female behind the cup was recently bred with this Koi . Frys are hatched and currently 2 days old. We'll see how this batch does, but just wanted to share it out there. Excited for the outcome.

Attachments

Guanchy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Haha thanks! Its been a lot of fun. Im updating with some new photos in a few minutes

KOIiiii

Valued Member
Reaction score
In need of a little bit of help. It seems so about a day or two ago, I saw 2 dead fries. I didn't think much of it, they were small and wouldn't eat much. Now that i inspect closer, A FEW of the smaller ones lie at the bottom tilted 30 degrees.

Feed 3x a Day BBS.
Temp: 82 F
Filtered. 50% Water Change Daily Basis.

Please let me know what might be wrong... ;-;

Attachments

KOIiiii

Valued Member
Reaction score
Mar 17 (5 Weeks) - I do not know if they're growing appropriately. But they seem to be getting bigger and bigger!
On the down side, about 30-40 of the smaller ones didn't make it. Many are starting to develop their baby colors.
These particular two are average sizes.
IMG_0806.JPG

This one's showing yellow with an outline of black. Quite interesting, really hope he carries that all the way through! < 3 (Sorry for blurriness, will upload cleaner one later.)
IMG_0808.JPG

Thedudeiam94

Well Known Member
Reaction score
50% water changes daily isn’t ideal. Honestly any of my fry have always done well when I’ve done water changes only if the ammonia in the water starts getting too high. Once weekly water changes of about 30% usually do the trick for me and keeps the water stable with less fluctuations. Sometimes water changes can throw off the good bacteria growth and cause the fish to die off because the fluctuations were too great. However (this is only what has worked for me) someone else might think differently.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom