Breed CRS on gravel? Heater?

1. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

I just got a used 10gal tank that I want to breed Red Cherry Shrimp in. It came with a hood, internal filter and gravel. I'm getting an additional double sponge filter and I have a Knee High on the internal filter so nobody gets sucked in. Do I need a heater and can I plant in the gravel?

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

If the water temperature doesn't fall below 70f then you don't need a heater but I've found with mine they breed better at around 74f so a heater would be advisable.
    Yes you can plant in gravel, a lot of the less high maintenance plants do very well in gravel, for shrimp you want some moss for them & the babies to hide in & they feed off the insuforia it provides

3. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

I'm a bit cold blooded so keep my airconditioning at 79. I have Java Moss, Ludwigia and Bacopa. Should I just get some root tabs? My other two tanks are dirted but I got this setup for $10 so trying to keep costs down on this one.

4. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Root tabs are probably a good idea if all you're having in the tank are shrimp, they wouldn't provide enough nutrients for the plants on their own