Breed CRS on gravel? Heater?

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by Linda4088, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Linda4088

Linda4088 Valued Member Member

I just got a used 10gal tank that I want to breed Red Cherry Shrimp in. It came with a hood, internal filter and gravel. I'm getting an additional double sponge filter and I have a Knee High on the internal filter so nobody gets sucked in. Do I need a heater and can I plant in the gravel?

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

If the water temperature doesn't fall below 70f then you don't need a heater but I've found with mine they breed better at around 74f so a heater would be advisable.
    Yes you can plant in gravel, a lot of the less high maintenance plants do very well in gravel, for shrimp you want some moss for them & the babies to hide in & they feed off the insuforia it provides

3. OP
    OP
    Linda4088

Linda4088 Valued Member Member

I'm a bit cold blooded so keep my airconditioning at 79. I have Java Moss, Ludwigia and Bacopa. Should I just get some root tabs? My other two tanks are dirted but I got this setup for $10 so trying to keep costs down on this one.

4. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Root tabs are probably a good idea if all you're having in the tank are shrimp, they wouldn't provide enough nutrients for the plants on their own

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice