Brazillian Pennywort Dying?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by BlissfulBetta, Apr 14, 2017.

1. BlissfulBetta

BlissfulBetta Valued Member Member

My tank has been planted for 3 weeks now. I have not used root tabs or anything except for a Finnex Stingray aquarium light that I leave on for 10 hours a day.
    The floating Braxillian Pennywort looks like it's dying. Is there anything I can do? I am doing something wrong?
    Thanks!
    20170414_133127.jpg
    20170414_133109.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Connor_

Connor_ Valued Member Member

Are you dosing any liquid ferts ? I've read some liquid ferts can be harmful to pennywort.

3. OP
    OP
    BlissfulBetta

Nope, no ferts whatsoever.

4. OP
    OP
    BlissfulBetta

Does anyone have any ideas on what I should do?

5. Lonewolf9395

Lonewolf9395 Valued Member Member

Sorry I can't help. I am following this thread as my pennywort looks similar although I am not sure it is actually dying or if the brown on the leaves is just normal.

6. Books&Fish

Books&Fish Well Known Member Member

Does the brown rub off? It could just be diatoms. Otherwise brown could be too much light. Trying backing it off to 8-9 hours a day.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  7. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

I think too much light and not enough ferts.

8. Connor_

I agree, I think the plants may be starving. As you increase light, ferts and Co2 must also increase

9. OP
    OP
    BlissfulBetta

It's okay:) Same here!
    I have not tried to rub it off, but I will try when i get home from work. Thank you!
    Thank you! Is the light too strong or on for too much time? What kind of ferts should I use?
    Thank you! Is CO2 necessary in this case? I was told these were low tech plants. What ferts should I use? Should I leave the light on for less time a day?

10. -Mak-

Try at most 8 hours for now. I use Nilocg thrive, and I like it a lot. Seachem ferts are also good, but you'll need separate bottles for macros.

Indeed they are low tech plants, but since you're giving a lot of light you need to match it with ferts and CO2. CO2 isn't necessary, for now just reduce the light and add ferts.

11. OP
    OP
    BlissfulBetta

Thank you!
    And I'm very new to this lol what are macros? I'm stopping at a Petco today and would love to get what I need for my plants from there. I'll lower my light as well. :)

12. Connor_

I use easy green from aquarium co-op, but I've heard highly of the seachem flourish products

13. -Mak-

I wrote this, hopefully it'll help you understand ferts a bit more!
    Info Before You Buy Flourish And Ferts In General

14. OP
    OP
    BlissfulBetta

Thank you! I will check that out!:)
    That is so well-written! I feel like I understand much better now. Thank you!:) In order to get the right amounts of macros and micros for my tank, what products would you suggest using?

15. OP
    OP
    BlissfulBetta

Update: My other plants are also dying. Does anyone know of any good fertilizers that I can use that are available at Petco, PetSmart, or Pet Supplies Plus?
    Thanks!:)

16. -Mak-

Maybe flourish? You'll likely need the nitrogen, phosphate, and potassium bottles too, I don't think I've seen those at chain stores. Nilocg thrive is what I use and recommend, you can get it off amazon or nilocg's website.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice