Brand New Tetra Is Dying

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by jaymethy, Apr 17, 2018.

1. j

jaymethy Valued Member Member

So I went to my lfs yesterday and bought 6 ember tetras for my 10 gallon. Well the guy at the store can't count and gave me 7, which is great, expect one of the is not doing well at all.

Yesterday he was slower than the rest, skinnier and kind of twitchy. Today he is floating in a plastic plant, not moving and didn't come out to eat.

I know he is going to die quite soon, and am wondering what the best course of action for him, and the rest of my fish is...
    Do I leave him for the couple days until he passes, keeping a close eye on the tank, and making sure he is removed within a few hours of dying so he doesnt start to rot in there? Or should I catch him now, and float him in a baggy (to make sure the water stays tank temperature) to prevent my other fish from catching anything? I'd leave the bag open for oxygen exchange, and could do water changes on the bag every few hours.
    Unfortunately I don't have a quarantine/hospital tank or anything like that.

Thanks

2. Iverg1

Iverg1 Well Known Member Member

Put him in a little bag and do what you said so other in the tank don’t catch what ever it was.could you put him in a clear cup?

3. OP
    OP
    j

I could, but then how am I maintaining temperature in that cup?

4. Iverg1

Luke warm water or you could use clove oil so you won’t face the problems of oxygen and heat sad but :(

5. OP
    OP
    j

So I caught the little guy and put him in a bag. I don't want to euthanize him, because as long as the water quality is good, the lfs will exchange him for me because I only bought him yesterday.

Upon catching him, there is a little bit of white fluff on his fins... so I might have a bit of a bigger issue than I thought....

6. Iverg1

Looks like cotton fin fungus treat with fungal medicine and salt

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  7. OP
    OP
    j

Yep.... I'm not impressed that I have to go back to my lfs though...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice