Brand New Tank 75 Gallon Tank

1. fishnchips Member Member

hey guys I just got a brand new 75 gallon bowfront tank and i wanted some help with stocking ideas. I wanna get cichlids and i want them to be really colorful and amazing looking like saltwater fish any ideas?
    -thanks

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello FishnChips. :animal0068:I have moved your thread to the Freshwater/Aquarium Stocking Questions section of the forum to help you to receive more responses. Here is a link you may find helpful:
    Important: For cichlid newbies:How to set up cichlid tanks
    Will be looking forward to updates from you!
    Ken

3. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

If you want something that can rival a marine tank for color I don't think you can really go past African Rift Lake cichlids. Some of the more colorful ones would be Lemon Cichlid (Lamprologus Leleupi), Various Peacocks (Aulonocara Baenschi, Nyassae, Jocopfreibergi & various other Aulonocara species), (Copadichromis Boadzulu), Frontosa (Cyphotilapia Frontosa), (Cyprichromis Leptosoma), (Julidochromis Dickfeldi), Malawi Golden Cichlid (Melanochromis Auratus), (Nimbochromis Livingstonii), (Pseudotropheus Lombardoi), (Pseudotropheus Socolofi), (Pseudotropheus Tropheops), (Pseudotropheus Zebra), (Tropheus Duboisi), (Tropheus Moorii). Sorry I don't know all the common names. Latin names are in brackets.
    Those are just a few of the hundreds of species of cichlid that come from the rift lakes but please be aware that you cannot combine all of the fish on the list above. You need to carefully research each fish that you like & try to work out what tankmates will be compatable. Some of the rift lake cichlids are very peaceful but others will go on a seek & destroy mission. Others still will literally tear the eyes out of other fish, (Malawi Eye-Biter). Rift Lake cichlids can be very rewarding & make a spectacular display so long as careful attention is paid to compatability.

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

+2 ...great suggestions!
    thats the closest ill ever get to sw colors also...my 75g ....ALL of my non aqauatic friends always say what a nice sw tank i have...its all african cichlids LOL

5. akamel Member Member

lol! thats funny shawnie !! You do have some sweet tanks ! I agree with the others-africans are awesome fish but do be careful in your selections and in case you dont know, you shouldnt mix africans from different lakes. Like at walmart-it says on tanks " assorted african cichlids"--BEWARE !! I learned the hard way. maybe this will help--there is a forum for cichlids only :cichlids-forum.com--very informative

6. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

I'm surprised you had any problems mixing from differnt lakes Akamel. I've been mixing them for years in literally dozens of tanks & never had any problems. So long as the usual compatability stuff is paid proper attention & the GH & PH are kept high enough, you shouldn't have an issue. There are one or two species that don't deal with 'in between' water conditions but they are few & far between IME. GH 15-20 & PH 8.6 & there should be no problems with any of them.

7. fishnchips Member Member

Update tank has two cracks in it totally gutted seeing as i got the tank for 72 bucks from petco

8. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Fishnchips. Sorry to hear that your new tank is cracked. Surely Petco will exchange it for you. Sorry you're having to go through this! Keep us posted.
    Ken

9. fishnchips Member Member

hey havent been on here in awhile. but the tank is in the backyard and Im still wondering if the cracks i was talking are really just scratches, but i dont want to take a risk. Also I know it goes against keeping fish but cuz they all require maintenance but would cichlids require more or less maintenance than for instance a planted community tank. I rather go with sand substrate this time and limit the use of a gravel vac. The only reason im asking is because i split my time between two houses and school so its hard to be there everyday. Also u guys think congo tetras would be able to handle their own against cichlids? thnx

10. jr177 Member Member

i have recently stocked my tiger barbs tank and suited it for the african cichilids. as of 3 weeks there has been little or no conflict between them, as for the tetras i also have serpae tetras that seem to get along well with them as well

11. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I would not reccomend putting anything really in with a tank of african cichlids. I've worked at two different pet stores now and at the first one I worked at we had a tank of assorted africans. They were all about 2-3 inches long and if we put ANYTHING in with them they'd kill it. We had a pleco in there and it got killed (we fed twice daily). Then at the pet store I work at now we have multiple tanks of different sizes of african cichlids and we have some that are about 6inches long in with a couple other types of cichlids and a couple pacu and a pleco and we don't have an issue (we feed 4 times daily). When they are small they are terrors to have. I wouldn't mix them with any type of tetra, I could see a tiger barb holding up to one for a while but I wouldn't doubt eventually the cichlid will win.

Just fyi almost EVERY pet store and fish specialty store you go to will have a tank of Assorted african cichlids. They never have an issue mixing with eachother, I mean just like if you take a group of terriers (the dogs) and put them in a room together for the most part they will be okay with the occasional dispute among individuals. The only time you really will have issues is when you mix african cichlids and the more peaceful south american cichlids.

Here's my stab at why they call it assorted rather than listing out every breed.....

Orginally they probably were separate as at the store I currently work at there are a couple we do still have listed separatly. But most look very similar and breed with eachother and then you have mix breeds and they were all originally probably very close in price. Then you have to think of the poor sales associate who has to learn all of these fish. Rather than having to learn about 30 different breeds of african cichlids we can focus on getting more in depth with a variety of fish.