Brand New Tank: Need Feedback On My Fish Plan

jscott

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
View media item 235866View media item 235866
Sorry, second try at posting this... (Brand new to fish keeping and to this forum)
Attached a photo of my 20 gallon tall. Currently cycling, using fish food method (trying to be patient). Right now just driftwood, gravel and a heater. Do I need an air pump to have good oxygen for a tank this size? And how risky is it not to have a quarantine tank? I'm planning on adding real plants and stocking very slowly, but how long do I really need to wait between adding fish? After SO much research on compatibility, parameters, etc., my plan (after cycle is complete) is to add:
Week 1 - two cardinal tetras and plants
Week 3 - two cardinals, two ghost shrimp
Week 5 - two cardinals, floating plant
Week 7 - one dwarf gourami
Week 10 - three cory catfish
Any feedback you have would be really appreciated!! Thanks!

Attachments

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to fishlore!

Nice tank!

What type of cory?
Cories need to be kept in groups of 6+

I would do this
8 Cardinal tetras
1 DG
6 Cories

I leave 2 weeks or more between adding fish

jscott

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok, thanks. My original plan was 6 cories, but I was worried about overstocking and having too many bottom dwellers with a short tank... but maybe I should get 6 after all! I don't remember what kind the LFS carries...

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Even with the stocking I posted above I still think you'd be understocked They are much happier in larger groups and you will see more natural behaviour.

jscott

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
BottomDweller said:
Even with the stocking I posted above I still think you'd be understocked They are much happier in larger groups and you will see more natural behaviour.
Ok great, that makes me feel better!

BottomDweller said:
Do you think I need an air pump?

tommywantfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
jscott said:
Ok, thanks. My original plan was 6 cories, but I was worried about overstocking and having too many bottom dwellers with a short tank... but maybe I should get 6 after all! I don't remember what kind the LFS carries...
Coryodras Habrosus are small and hardy. I believe they don't get much over an inch. I would go Amano over ghost. It is just a better species overall...I have come to that conclusion recently after a lot of ?s answered by the great members on this forum, and my own research. It is worth the up-charge. Just my opinion.
Nice tank!

BeanFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Since cardinals need at least 26 Celsius I would not keep any dwarf corydora with them. Sterbai or corydoras aenus would be a good choice since they handle high temps well. On the other hand the very common Corydoras Paleatus or peppered corydora would be a bad choice for this stocking since they enjoy cooler water.
10 cardinals
1 Gourami
8 Corydoras

That would be my stocking, and I wouldnt classify it as overstocked, specially if you develop an obsession for live plants

Quarantine tanks come in handy but proper quarantine would be very slowly. Many people suggest quarantining for a month. That is not enough time for some diseases to pop up so I think quarantine that lasts a month is just to avoid easy stuff like ich and to acclimatize your fish to your water parameters and feeding regime which can be good. If you want quarantine to just last a month and be effective you would need to do some preventive meds which are expensive and with just 3 batches of fish to quarantine probably half the bottle will caducate.
I personally rarely quarantine, and if I do is just to acclimate my fish and make sure they are eating before dropping them into the main tank. With good water quality and food fish will be healthy and will rarely catch a disease.

tommywantfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
KeeperOfASilentWorld said:
I also vote for Amanos! Maybe 5x Amanos and 10x Cherry Shrimps of your color choosing but I don't know how they do with Corydoras. That is a question for @BottomDweller
Everything I have read says they are perfect together. I was about to purchase some salt and peppers for my 10. Aquatic arts gives a great description.

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
KeeperOfASilentWorld said:
I also vote for Amanos! Maybe 5x Amanos and 10x Cherry Shrimps of your color choosing but I don't know how they do with Corydoras. That is a question for @BottomDweller
Amanos are usually fine with cories but I don't know about cherries

BeanFish said:
Since cardinals need at least 26 Celsius I would not keep any dwarf corydora with them. Sterbai or corydoras aenus would be a good choice since they handle high temps well. On the other hand the very common Corydoras Paleatus or peppered corydora would be a bad choice for this stocking since they enjoy cooler water.
10 cardinals
1 Gourami
8 Corydoras

That would be my stocking, and I wouldnt classify it as overstocked, specially if you develop an obsession for live plants
In a 20 high I wouldn't do 8 cories, not enough footprint, especially if they are albino/bronze which get larger than most.

tommywantfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
BottomDweller said:
Amanos are usually fine with cories but I don't know about cherries

In a 20 high I wouldn't do 8 cories, not enough footprint, especially if they are albino/bronze which get larger than most.
Did not realize it was a high...that would not be great for cardinals would it? DG, endlers (black bar I think), embers or CPDs, and a bunch of Amano shrimp? Just throwing a dart.

BeanFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Oh, its a high one. Then yeah, aenus grows big so probably not the best.
If the OP is OK with replacing her cardinals for neon tetras then I would do 12 corydoras pygameus or hastatus.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Greetings and welcome to the forum

Anamos are fine with corys. Cherys are small and I have not had them with corys. I have several in the quarantine aquarium. I am waiting to see how big they get.

jscott

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
BeanFish said:
Oh, its a high one. Then yeah, aenus grows big so probably not the best.
If the OP is OK with replacing her cardinals for neon tetras then I would do 12 corydoras pygameus or hastatus.
So it's not a good tank for Cardinals? Why is that? That makes me sad. I definitely need to research all these cories, I didn't realize some were so small.

BeanFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
It is a good tank for cardinals but most small corydoras preffer cooler water than what the cardinals like. If you can get your hands on a corydora that can handle heat well (like corydoras sterbai for example) and that doesnt grow too big for your tank size (I think 8 corydoras sterbai would be fine in your tank) then you can get cardinals. If you cant find any corydoras that are temp compatible with cardinals thn you will have to forget about corydoras or change the cardinals for neons, both of them look very similar with the only difference that neons like cooler water which would allow you to get stuff like panda corys or dwarf corydoras which are smaller and will probably fit your tank better.

Sepehr

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hello! Welcome to Fishlore!
Nice Tank! and I really liked the plan of yours (After the cycle)

jscott

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
BeanFish said:
10 cardinals
1 Gourami
8 Corydoras

Quarantine tanks come in handy but proper quarantine would be very slowly. Many people suggest quarantining for a month. That is not enough time for some diseases to pop up so I think quarantine that lasts a month is just to avoid easy stuff like ich and to acclimatize your fish to your water parameters and feeding regime which can be good. If you want quarantine to just last a month and be effective you would need to do some preventive meds which are expensive and with just 3 batches of fish to quarantine probably half the bottle will caducate.
I personally rarely quarantine, and if I do is just to acclimate my fish and make sure they are eating before dropping them into the main tank. With good water quality and food fish will be healthy and will rarely catch a disease.
Ok great feedback, THANK YOU!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom