Brand New Or Second Hand Tank?

Colleen B

Well Known
Reaction score
HI everyone.

I have some juvenile fish in a 55 gallon that I am upgrading to a 90-125 gallon once they get a bit bigger.
1x green severum
2x bala shark
1x spotted bush fish
Would like to add another severum.

What tank would you suggest? I'm willing o do anything like a 90, 100, 110 or 125. What footprint is the best?

Do you have any aversion to buying used tanks on Craigslist/Facebook Marketplace?

NavyChief20

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Colleen B said:
HI everyone.

I have some juvenile fish in a 55 gallon that I am upgrading to a 90-125 gallon once they get a bit bigger.
1x green severum
2x bala shark
1x spotted bush fish
Would like to add another severum.

What tank would you suggest? I'm willing o do anything like a 90, 100, 110 or 125. What footprint is the best?

Do you have any aversion to buying used tanks on Craigslist/Facebook Marketplace?
So balas get big. My last one I had was 13" when he passed and he was in a 350. 125 is the smallest tank I would go. I have 3 75s that are veing decommissioned and converted to sumps for my 3 new 125s. Then I won't have any tank smaller than 125 in the house.

OP
Colleen B

Colleen B

Well Known
Reaction score
NavyChief20 said:
So balas get big. My last one I had was 13" when he passed and he was in a 350. 125 is the smallest tank I would go. I have 3 75s that are veing decommissioned and converted to sumps for my 3 new 125s. Then I won't have any tank smaller than 125 in the house.
I don't necessarily NEED to keep the balas. I'm aware they will get very big, so I'm not averse to re-homing them if need be. My severum is the one I will never rehome. He's so awesome, like a pet dog. I think it might be cool to get a few of them.

My severum and spotted bush fish
20180816_114642.jpg
20180617_190517.jpg

OP
Colleen B

Colleen B

Well Known
Reaction score
NavyChief20 said:
Cichlids are my thing so id keep him. They are so personable!
I love this fish, he's such a weirdo. He begs like a dog, and follows me when I walk back and forth. He's knows I'm the hand that feeds him and he isn't very nice to other people He's growing so quickly, he was an inch or two when I got him in May and now he's the size of my hand!

NYFishGuy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Personally I don't like tanks over 20" in height, need more light, more of a pain to clean.
I'd go for something 6'long, 20"height and 2 feet deep. this would put volume around 150 gallons

OP
Colleen B

Colleen B

Well Known
Reaction score
NYFishGuy said:
Personally I don't like tanks over 20" in height, need more light, more of a pain to clean.
I'd go for something 6'long, 20"height and 2 feet deep. this would put volume around 150 gallons
Interesting input, thank you!

THRESHER

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
There are great deals to be had on Craigslist. Don't know anything about facebook as I prefer to steer clear of that gossip cesspool, but that's just me.

Maybe garage sales too

Look for something like so:

Not beat-up badly
Doesn't need a resealing, but if it does it's minor
Not cracked especially edges
With stand is a plus
With filter/top/light is a major plus.

Only problem with a tank of that size they may/may not deliver. You'll need a pick-up truck and a few strong guys to help you out.

I got a complete 40gal with everything including stand for $40 from a garage sale. Just needed a good washing

OP
Colleen B

Colleen B

Well Known
Reaction score
Nebulous said:
There are great deals to be had on Craigslist. Don't know anything about facebook as I prefer to steer clear of that gossip cesspool, but that's just me.

Look for something like so:

Not beat-up badly
Doesn't need a resealing, but if it does it's minor
Not cracked especially edges
With stand is a plus
With filter/top/light is a major plus.

Only problem with a tank of that size they may/may not deliver. You'll need a pick-up and a few strong guys to help you out.
I worry about leaks...how will I know unless I actually fill the tank?

Buying a filter second hand is iffy IMO also. Leaks, contaminants, etc.

That said.....ill probably do second hand anyways because I sure don't have the money for a full price tank

THRESHER

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I got 2 filters with the 40gal ( AC110 & AC30) hot water and vinegar made them new again. Replaced the media and that was that.

Addictive

Reaction score
I really like the used 125 acrylic tank I got. I've you've got a good spot for it 72" aquariums are really cool. There aren't as many 6ft light fixtures, but I found there to be a pretty good selection.

This is my first acrylic tank and I don't think I'll get glass again, the fact that I can easily lift a 125 gallon tank by myself is great. New they are crazy expensive, but you can get a good deal used like I did, $80. You can buff out any scratches fairly easily as long as they aren't super deep.

OP
Colleen B

Colleen B

Well Known
Reaction score
Addictive said:
I really like the used 125 acrylic tank I got. I've you've got a good spot for it 72" aquariums are really cool. There aren't as many 6ft light fixtures, but I found there to be a pretty good selection.

This is my first acrylic tank and I don't think I'll get glass again, the fact that I can easily lift a 125 gallon tank by myself is great. New they are crazy expensive, but you can get a good deal used like I did, $80. You can buff out any scratches fairly easily as long as they aren't super deep.
I have the perfect spot in my house for a 72" tank so I'm definitely going that route! Thanks

New Threads