Brand New Nerite Snails

Discussion in 'Snails' started by Fanatic, Apr 20, 2017.

1. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

I just got a couple nerites from PetSmart.

They weren't active at all, and were pretty small. They were both on their backs. But they were both alive no doubt.

The only downside is that one of them has a reasonable sized hole in the back of his shell.

Questions:
    1) Will he be ok?
    2) Should them both?
    3) Theres plenty of algae for them, will they eat it?

2. KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

You're going to just have to watch them and see.

3. PunkinWell Known MemberMember

Nerites are pretty cool. I don't have any at the moment, but really liked the one I had. He cleaned the algae very well. Also would occasionally snack in some shrimp pellet. I'm not sure about the hole in the shell, so I can't advise on that. Many people on the forum also give their snails veggies, like a cucumber slice or lettuce leaf. Keep an eye on them and you'll get to know their habits. Have fun with them. :)

4. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

So far they haven't moved from the place I've placed them. Probably takes a day for them to adjust.

5. PunkinWell Known MemberMember

It may take them awhile. When I had mine, he moved right away, but that doesn't mean your will. They may be getting used to their environment.

6. el337Fishlore LegendMember

Were they ok their backs at the store or in your tank? Did you do the sniff test to check if they are dead?

7. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

I don't think there was any smell.

They both were completely flipped onto their backs, and not moving.

I'll double check, if they are dead. I'm taking them back for a refund.

8. Jamieson22Well Known MemberMember

Best thing I learned for snails is to just not worry about them unless they are in same spot for 2 days - then take a sniff as there is a good chance they are still okay. This hold especially true for newly added ones. I've them in ways that I felt 100% they were dead only to have them gone the next time I looked.

9. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Nope, they are alive.

They just have that regular snail smell. But no strong stink.

10. AngelTheGypsyFishlore VIPMember

I bought 2 at petsmart and they started moving right away, but my nasty betta knocked one off the glass. It didn't move for a week. I kept checking him, didn't smell. But he started accumulating white specks around him. Then he stunk!!!

8d3feba61e9f47db36c812b4d80d2a8e.jpg

I'm only saying this because I found nothing anywhere about white specks on dead snails. Yours may very well still be alive and adjusting

11. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

They are alive :)

They just may need to adjust to their habitat. Going to do a 25% WC

Btw, mine are Black Racers

12. el337Fishlore LegendMember

Also, if they are flipped over their backs, you should right them as they have a hard time righting themselves.

13. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

The are now, just when they were in the store.

14. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

I'm pretty sure they are dead. They smell musty.

I can't find any place that sells them for cheap. Amazon has them for 16.95 shipping.

15. AngelTheGypsyFishlore VIPMember

If they are dead, they will smell downright rotten. But it may take a few days to smell.

16. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

They have somewhat of a strong stench. But not super super bad. They haven't moved for 3 days.

17. AngelTheGypsyFishlore VIPMember

Have they ever cruised around your tank?

18. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Not once.

19. AngelTheGypsyFishlore VIPMember

Not good news I'm afraid...

I've lost 2 of 5, one horned and one tiger. The tiger just yesterday. And he cruised pretty constantly for about two weeks then I found him on the bottom on his back. Flipped him over he climbed the glass stayed for a day or so, then found him on the bottom on his back again, this time half out of his shell

20. PunkinWell Known MemberMember

Oh dear. Sorry to hear that. That's disappointing. I had my nerite for 2 months when it passed. It took a while for me to know for sure. Didn't smell right away and when it did, it wasn't too strong. I got the white spots like Angel wrote about, that's how I knew for sure.