Brand new filter not working!

1. Fish'd Member Member

I have this brand new HOB filter. It is an AQUA-Tech 5-15 filter, and it came with my tank.

It worked at first, but now it doesn't. It shuts on and off, and the longest it has stayed on at once is an hour, maybe two. I have pulled apart the entire thing and cleaned it with my tank water multiple times, and the most it does is whir for a second maybe once or twice. It's trying, so I know it's not dead.

I read that sand can cause problems to the filters, and that's my substrate (it's going to have cories in it). I put pantyhose around the intake, and it still won't work. I tried unplugging it and plugging it back in. I took the thing out of the wall, and before realizing I could actually remove the impeller itself, I (feel free to yell at me) tried to find whatever was long enough that I had lying around to reach the thing and jiggle it around. The thing just won't work at all! Please help!
    :;fru

2. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

It's probably under warranty.. email the company or call the store where you got it. Maybe they'll let you return it for a new one and keep the media.

3. Fish'd Member Member

Gah... I guess; I just really wanted this thing to work! I know it's trying... Maybe I'll rinse it one more time.
    I'll have to call tomorrow, if anything. Thanks.

4. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

That's a walmart brand. I have a couple.
    It sounds like you've tried everything. You could just exchange it out.
    I had to exchange a whisper filter that came with a mini bow. They didn't give me any problems.

5. Fish'd Member Member

I fixed the problem! I missed a bit of sand in the bottom. I was using tank water, so I might have been scooping more in. But I tried tap water from my bathroom, and it works!

I'll keep this in mind in case it acts up again.

Thanks, both of you! :D

6. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

That's great! Glad you got it figured out!

7. Fish'd Member Member

It stopped. Again. And now when I try to fill it up, instead of overflowing out the output thing, it magically disappears. I think it's going back out the intake.

I'm just going to contact the company, I guess.

ETA: If I pull up on the impeller thing some, it kicks on for a second. If the impeller pushes itself down, it turns off. I put only tap water in and removed some tank water so the tank doesn't overflow. It's running now; hopefully it stays running.

8. northern_guppy Initiate Member

i have a aqua tech 5-15. and it also keeps turning on and off. It started working again last time i fiddling with it. But now its not working at all.... im assuming this filter model is a problem...

9. rae64 Well Known Member Member

I'm having the same problem with a tetra whisper 10. I am just going to buy a Marineland Penquin 100. I have the 200 and it is wonderful, so I do not expect any problems. The Bio-Wheel feature is great for bacteria too :)

10. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I had the same issue with one of my Aqua-Tech 5-15's. I'm currently running Aqueon 10's on other tanks in case the other two go "kaput".