Brand new cray acting weird

Jmcknight123

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
please tell me whats going on here. I bought a brand new juvenile electric blue crayfish. Brought her home to a tank i had previously cycled and has been running for 7 months. 20 gallon long, ph is 8, ammonia is 0, nitrites are 0, and nitrates are 10ppm. Temp is 72. I did a water change before acclimating her for about 20 mins. She is moving VERY erratically with her tail tucked under her. She looks like she is flailing about. She also keeps flipping on her back. Is something wrong??? This is my dream crayfish and I dont want to loose her after looking for over a year for one....

Attachments

OP
Jmcknight123

Jmcknight123

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
She died 10 mins after posting that. I took her back and got another. This one is already running the tank like.its his and eating all the ghost shrimp I put in there.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
sorry to hear that and on what you say now it must have been a faild moult as this new one is OK, did they refund you

OP
Jmcknight123

Jmcknight123

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
They refunded me and gave me another for trouble since im in there pretty regularly and help out when they need it.

OP
Jmcknight123

Jmcknight123

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
She also ripped both claws off right before she died? Why?

mimo91088

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sucks the first one died. But glad you're not out anymore $$ so at least there's that!

OP
Jmcknight123

Jmcknight123

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Also could the differences in temo effect anything? At the store she was kept in with the goldfish and those tanks are cold.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
She needs 24c pulling her claws off she was trying to get the old shell off she went into a forced moult probly because she didn't acclimate right which may have been caused by the temperature

OP
Jmcknight123

Jmcknight123

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So 20 mins floating in the water and then another 20 mins drip acclimation isnt enough?

OP
Jmcknight123

Jmcknight123

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
All the shrimp are doing just fine. And the feeder guppies. Thats how i knew nothing was toxic in the water

jake37

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well i know nothing about crayfishes 'cept that we had some in the creek behind our house. Only thing is none of them turned blue....

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
the shrimp will be first to say something wrong im glad this one is OK, he needs a place to hide where he will retreat most of the time and will stop eating about 5 days before he moults, its also worth feeding cooked veg broccoli, zanucchie, spinach, kale these will condition his shell for a clean moult

OP
Jmcknight123

Jmcknight123

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have crayfish in the creek behind my house as well. In the wild its like 1 in 15000 chance it will be blue in kentucky. Mine is an electric blue crayfish and are bred this way i think

OP
Jmcknight123

Jmcknight123

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Anything that is alive in the tank is there specifically for him to eat. Starting in a few days he will have veggies as part of the diet as well as lobster pellets, algea wafers, and old plant clippings from my tanks. As far as hides he had multiple ones I've built up from river stone just for him and the amazon sword is ringed by river stones and drift wood. He is also working on a burrow in the Amazon sword area

OP
Jmcknight123

Jmcknight123

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
This isnt my first crayfish. Just the first that has ever done that. I have 4 more in the other room haaha

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Didn't know that! its always awkward not knowing the extent of the knowledge of the op so until I know I try and give as much useful information as possible and as in this case probably some not needed.

OP
Jmcknight123

Jmcknight123

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I am ALWAYS ready for any information. This is more then just a hobby for me. Its an obsession. I cant get enough information and I always listen to someone more experienced.

New Threads