Brand new cherry shrimp suddenly not active- molting? (Update-doing much better)

redmare

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
HI everyone, yesterday my new red cherry shrimp arrived! Two died in shipping but the remaining 10 were moved into the 5.5g planted tank that had been cycled (for about 3 weeks after using established media to kickstart it) and waiting for them (driftwood, cholla wood, java fern, anubias nana, java moss). All day yesterday and this morning they were zipping around, inspecting every inch of the tank for things to munch on. Now they are all still. It's like they each picked a spot and are just stuck there. They walk around a little, but not much. Several also have white down their backs from head to tail. I'm kind of wondering if this seems like molting, but is it weird for them all to be doing it at once? The exception is my smallest little male shrimp who is darting around like a madshrimp. Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate all zero, temp has been nice and steady at 74F, pH ~7, KH ~120ppm, GH ~150ppm. I know the water is hard, but I've read it's not too hard? That's the only thing that seems like it could be a problem, beyond just transport. Acclimated by floating the bag in a separate bowl of tank water, spent about 2 hours slowly adding tank water, then netted them in to avoid putting their travel water in. I've grown really fond of these little sea bugs already and I would appreciate any help! If something is terribly wrong please be gentle, I am trying my darndest. Thank you all!

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HI redmare welcome to fishlore
I'll try and be kind but all your shrimp are in shock this could be down to the way you acclimated and you've put them into a tank that's not ready , even with media from another tank you should still wait 2months especially in a small tank like yours, what's in your other tanks? Can you drip them into the other tank

OP
redmare

redmare

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The media was from a friend's tank, so I dont have another one. Is there anything I can do? Or at this point is it just wait and hope for the best?

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you can't move them there's nothing can be done but expect losses I'm sorry
The line running down the back is a racing stripe which is fine. Can you post close up photos

OP
redmare

redmare

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
this one has it the most, sorry hes not at a great angle.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's not a young shrimp by the looks and is female, again it's harder to acclimatise older shrimp they dont seem to manage it like the rest, can you put an air stone in

OP
redmare

redmare

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
That makes sense. She (man I thought I knew how to sex them!) and the others are doing little cleaning things, cleaning their whiskers and tails and stuff, is that a good sign or means nothing? I can order an air stone if that will help for sure

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A small airstone will help, the fact they are cleaning doesn't mean a lot, only time will tell now dont do anything drastic give them time and a few may live

OP
redmare

redmare

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thank you so much for your help. Hopefully a few pull through!

OP
redmare

redmare

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hey richie.p !!! I’m so pleased to update that it seems I got a resilient bunch. None have died and they’re really picking up and becoming active and happy. I also put an old nylon over my filter intake after one got a little stuck in it (he was fine as soon as I turned the filter off for a second) and they LOOOOVE feasting on all the bits it catches. They like it better than their shrimp pellets! Anyways I’m just very happy that they seem to be doing awesome.

OP
redmare

redmare

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
richie.p said:
I'm glad to hear that I hope they pull through keep us posted
and theyre still doing very well! no deaths, a few healthy molts, happy and active :)

New Threads