Brand new Black ghost knife fish

mythicminx

Just brought this guy home. Noticed his tail is bent upwards slightly. When I was researching BGKF in the weeks before I brought him home, all photos showed a straight/slightly downward pointing tail. Is this normal? Or an injury?? I'm sick with worry. Sorry for unexpected flash. Hes hard to get photos of.
Anyone whos read my posts knows I tend to assume the worst - I just want to be able to fox something of I can! Please anyone with BGKF experience: bestow your knowledge upon me! Lol
20200625_223832.jpg20200625_223832.jpg

Best Answer - View Cody's answer

AquaticQueen

That doesn't look like a black ghost knife fish. More like a cory catfish. The body shape, color, and fins all point toward a cory. Do you have any other pics of it?

Cody

I can’t speak to any direct experience with them but if the fish is newly introduced I wouldn’t panic too much at first. Any fish may be a little off when first introduced to its new tank. Pale, hiding, clamped fins, etc. Just keep and eye on it over the next 24 hours.

And coincidentally my LFS always posts new stock on Facebook and I remembered seeing a BGKF on there and I checked back and the one they had pictured had a tail fin pointing upward exactly the same as yours.

I think you are good!

The_fishy

AquaticQueen said:
That doesn't look like a black ghost knife fish. More like a cory catfish. The body shape, color, and fins all point toward a cory. Do you have any other pics of it?
Look just above that fish, it’s hiding against the dark object.

FishGirl115

Look up the species guys. This looks absolutely nothing like a black ghost knife fish. I agree with aquaticqueen, looks like a cory catfish

FinalFins

FishGirl115 said:
Look up the speciesnguys. This looks absolutely nothing like a black ghost knife fish
Look above the corydoras. You can see it against the decor.

FishGirl115

FinalFins said:
Look above the corydoras. You can see it against the decor.
Oh. Lol. I'm so stupid

Mhamilton0911

GUYS, seriously? OP just had a bad picture. :D

Untitled.png

But the tail does seem bent up a bit. Was it straight when in the store?

AquaticQueen

The_fishy said:
Look just above that fish, it’s hiding against the dark object.
Ah, I didn't see it. Oop.

mythicminx

Mhamilton0911 said:
GUYS, seriously? OP just had a bad picture. :D

Untitled.png

But the tail does seem bent up a bit. Was it straight when in the store?
THANK YOU! I couldnt get a good picture... No offense to everyone else but I feel like the bent BGK tailwas a dead giveaway even in the presence of the ever-present cory. Long story short- yes his tail was like that when I left the pet store(I bought him right before the store closed- and when I brought him back the pet store said they would love to give me their other BGK and keep him under observation. I was just beginning to get attached so it was hard to do- but I get attached fast so that's on me. I have been keeping up with 'bent tail'(I'm at this store almost everyday) his tail is still bent but he still looks okay... I plan on keeping up with his developments.

mythicminx

Update: Bent-tail still be bent. I guess it really do be like that when that be how it is.... Lol

Mhamilton0911

Did you keep Bent Tail, or is it still at the LFS?

JB92668

very nice

mythicminx

Sad news. So in response to someone above I had exchanged him because everything in me said "this bent tail is not good"... He had been fine up until now but today when I went to the store i went to look for him and found out he had died. sad. I wonder why his tail was bent in the first place? RIP Casper

Mhamilton0911

Aww, sorry to hear. SIP little guy.

qldmick

mythicminx said:
Sad news. So in response to someone above I had exchanged him because everything in me said "this bent tail is not good"... He had been fine up until now but today when I went to the store i went to look for him and found out he had died. sad. I wonder why his tail was bent in the first place? RIP Casper
Either genetic or more likely damaged by a net or something as fry.

Top Bottom